Dual-SIM and/or global phone that will work with both Verizon and GSM
JIMRH
Enthusiast - Level 2

Greetings!

My wife and I have been Verizon Wireless customers since before Verizon Wireless even existed.  (At the time it was New England Bell)  As Verizon Wireless has given us flawless service and support since the mid '90's, I'd greatly prefer remaining with them if possible.

We travel a lot overseas, (i.e.  outside the US/Canada), and the protocol supported is GSM.  Because we spend a lot of time abroad, we have service provisioned with a local GSM provider so our "local" calls when abroad don't cost $400/min due to roaming.

In Europe, dual-sim devices are very common.  (In fact, there are now devices that support up to 4 or 5 sims at a time!)  I want a dual-provider capable phone so that I don't have to swap phones every time I travel and/or come home.

My requirements:

1.  It must work with Verizon Wireless seamlessly when in the US.

2.  It must work with my provider-of-choice when abroad.

3.  My Verizon Wireless number and SMS must be available while I am abroad.

Other than that, I don't give a [censored] if it's a fancy-pants smartphone or two tin cups and a string.  All I need is for it to work.

At present, I accomplish this by using a dual-sim smartphone with both T-Mobile and my European provider's SIM cards installed.  However, I'd greatly prefer to have one single phone number in the U.S. and I would greatly prefer it to be my original Verizon Wireless number on Verizon's network.

I strongly suspect that the answer to this is "tough-luck big guy. . ."

Any ideas or suggestions I haven''t heard yet?

Thanks!

Jim "JR"

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Dual-SIM and/or global phone that will work with both Verizon and GSM
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JIMRH

I can definitely understand your concerns; I know how important it is to make sure you're able to use your phone and avoid any unwanted or unexpected charges while traveling. We do not offer any dual SIM card phones, however, most if not all of the newer smartphones we offer come with global capabilities. Here is a link that will show phones available with global capabilities, click here https://www.verizonwireless.com/devices/world-device/.

Now, regarding the cost associated with using your phones overseas, here is a link that will cover the travel options that we currently have available https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/international-travel/. With these options, you can select a feature that will fit your needs so that you can continue using your Verizon number while you are abroad.

EdwardL_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the  Correct Answer  button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Gunduz

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.  But, probably this is not exact answer to the question. Is it possible to get Dual Sim phone and work with Verizon?

I am loyal Verizon customer since 2011. But I am travelling a lot. I would like to buy Samsung Note 8 Dual Sim and use one slot with Vetizon, second one with interational carriers. Question:

IS IT POSSIBLE?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do the radio frequencies supported by the dual SIM Note 8 even suggested that it might be possibly compatible with the Verizon Wireless network?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Gunduz, we know the importance of knowing if a phone will work with us. We want to help in any way we can. 

We do not support dual SIM phones. However, you can check if your particular phone will work with us here at this link  https://www.verizonwireless.com/prospect/bring-your-own-device#/checkDevice

Steven_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Gunduz

Thanks Steven for your reply. I am now in Azerbaijan Republic. I tried use Verizon sim-card in Samsung Note 8 Dual Sim, Model # SM-N950F/DS. And I can call and receive calls in Roaming.

0 Likes