Re: Droid Razr M: KitKat update problems
buzz73
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't know why Verizon agreed to this.

I had to pay $35 out of pocket because my phone was not under warranty to get the software reloaded because in said "sure" to the upgrade.  Not my fault, but took to 2 different Verizon stores and got the "well, you're eligible for an upgrade" line. They wouldn't fix it although it was not my fault. I went to an independent store.

My battery life is horrible and I have not reinstalled several apps.

The phone has gotten hot in my pocket.

The customer service on here is horrible.

I stayed with Verizon because of good customer service but I guess that's gone.

Sure the phone is a bit faster but hate all the other "features".

Kit Kat keyboard sucks.

Only one notifications color light shows now.

Why Verizon can't let us go back is beyond me.

I guess it is time to find a new carrier after 10 years.

Cenzon43
Enthusiast - Level 2

Like I've been saying get the insurance and in 2 weeks have your phone "mysteriously break". They don't want to fix it, they don't want to help, make them! I am also checking out new carriers, had to beg to get unlimited text calls and 2 gb data (after being with Verizon for 7 years) for $60 at the same time they were offering unlimited everything for $60 for prepaid customers. I know several people who have the Straight Talk plan from walmart and have no problems with service (texts, calls, and web) so I am looking into that, I might not get the latest phone but you really cant beat $45 a month.

steve_o
Enthusiast - Level 3

A follow-up on the issues I've been having with my Razr M since the KitKat (4.4.2) update rolled out in May.  After replacing the SIM card (which did nothing) and several other things (which also had no effect), I finally resorted to a Factory Reset on the phone.  All problems present & reported prior to the reset are still there.

I don't recall if I reported it before, but when connected to a factory charger, my battery app was showing a drain on the system (i.e. a negative charge) so that charging was very slow.  This is the only thing I have noticed that is different - it appears to charge up a little quicker. The same 3 battery hogs from before are still the same ones I have now.  They still occupy virtually the same percentages as before also. I also discovered after a couple billing cycles that my data usage basically doubled & has remained at that level since the update. 

The phone's operating temperatures prior to the reset were above 90 degrees about 60% of the time.  The Jellybean OS operated above the same temperature only about 20% of the time.  Since the reset, it appears to average virtually the same temperature as before.  The reset may have made only about 1 degree difference on its operating temperature, but that sample is pretty small still.  With any use (using data), the operating temp gets over 100 degrees within just a couple minutes, just as before.  I haven't done many phone calls or texts enough to determine what impact they would have on the temperatures. 

Since a Reset fixed nothing, that pretty much confirms that it is the OS that is the problem & not an app or something else.  Google (and Verizon) with this update have destroyed what was previously an acceptably usable phone. 

Here's the kick in the pants over all of this though.  I've been with Verizon since it was still Alltel in this area.  And, I am one of the ones who still has an unlimited data plan on my smart phone, which is something they no longer offer.  When I was speaking with Verizon about what options I have going forward (I have insurance on the phone), I requested that whatever replacement phone I got should be (1) a 4G LTE phone (like the Razr M), (2) of similar screen size, and (3) would not have the KitKat (4.4.2) operating system on it.  Lo and behold - there are none - they said it would have to be replaced with the same phone I already have.  Even confirming the issues are OS-related apparently accomplishes nothing. 

The only choices I have are:

1.  Do nothing & b**** about it,

2.  Accept another Razr M (or "compatible" one) which will come with the same set of problems I already have,

3.  Pay Verizon $600+ to buy an iPhone (or other one) outright so I can keep my unlimited data plan, or

4.  Get an iPhone with a new 2 year contract & lose my unlimited plan (Verizon said that people who had Unlimited Data plans can request one that is a 6GB plan as opposed to the paltry 2GB plans everyone else gets nailed big bucks with).

No good options & basically screwed - just like tons of others who had the update crammed onto their phones. 

NickIzk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Interestingly enough, I was just reading about 2 really bad bugs in the KK kernel that affects certain Razr M revisions.  It can cause the battery to heat up to dangerous temperatures.  The good news is Motorola is already testing out an update so Im guessing a fix should be coming soon.  But just a heads up, the current/buggy KK version will probably be your last window of opportunity to unlock your phone (as their fix also patches the root exploit).  Unlocking will give you more options to run older/stable/different versions of Android.  Can't discuss how but just search around on XDA.

In the meantime, some things you can do to cool it down/save your battery:

Get the wakelock detector app if you are rooted to see what keeps waking up your phone and how often.

Disable any setting in your apps that wants to access your location.  Also enable GPS only when you need it.  I'd suggest adding that power control widget to your screen.  Once you add that widget, also turn off syncing if you don't need the phone to constantly check email and other stuff.

If you use Google Now, disable that "Ok Google" speech recognition feature.

Kill recent apps.  Tap the window/menus button from the main screen.  Swipe and kill any apps that show up.  Do this regularly as some apps want to stay awake if you dont specifically end them.  This wont kill apps that have a background service though.

Disable the Facebook app.

Depending on your signal, force it to only 3G.  The battery drain from it trying to search for a better signal is just ridiculous.  This is kinda tricky to do manually, but there are apps to bring up that option.

Turn off NFC / Android beam.  Under settings->wireless & networks->more.  While under there also disable media sharing if you don't use it.

Disable the WiFi scanning option when its turned off (can't remember where this was at -- either under the Wifi advanced settings or its one of the settings under the location options).

I know I'm forgetting a bunch more..  There's also more technical tweaks you can do if you enable the developer options.  GL

steve_o
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, NickIzk - Glad the procedure isn't too complicated.....   

In general, the procedure you outlined seems like it strips a lot of what the phone previously did without issue away from it because of the OS that I had no choice about installing. 

Basically, the release has made the phone non-functioning.  The only alternative Verizon gives me is to exchange this non-functioning phone for another one of the same type (and possibly same build, with the same problems), or lose my unlimited account to get an actual functioning phone, or pay $600+ to keep it and buy a new phone -  all while I did nothing to "break" the one I've got.

And, I hear that the FCC is investigating some cell phone companies/carriers for "throttling" supposedly unlimited connections. 

No good options either way.

0 Likes
cbetts
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got an update pushed to my phone and it is currently loading.  Anyone have any experiences to report yet?

0 Likes
cbetts
Enthusiast - Level 1

I now have build KDA20.62-15 with a build date of July 29th.

So far, I see immediate improvement.  I can now have both bluetooth and wireless on at the same time.  Need to spend some time on it tomorrow before discovering if the battery problem is resolved.

0 Likes
no1knows

Just called Verizon.  They are unaware of any issues with the Droid Razr M. I was told there are no known issues. The three Razr M phones that my family has which mysteriously started having issues immediately after updating to KitKat (overheating, low battery life) clearly must be casued by something other than KitKat. 

I was told that the average battery life of a smart phone is 8 hours.

I was also told that you can't believe what you read in forums like this. 

Implied Warranty: Fitness for Particular Purpose.

Where the seller at the time of contracting has reason to know any particular purpose for which the goods are required and that the buyeris relying on the seller's skill or judgment to select or furnish suitable goods, there is unless excluded or modified under the next section an implied warranty that the goods shall be fit for such purpose.

0 Likes
cbetts
Enthusiast - Level 1

Major improvement with the latest update.  Battery held up better yesterday.  Even forgot to plug it into the charger last night and still had about 20% charge left this morning.

I do have a new issue with SmartActions though.  I have a profile setup for home that will turn on WiFi if on a charger and BT is connected to a particular device.  It was unable to determine the BT connection for some reason.  Once I remove the BT requirement, the action fired off.  The BT was functional and usable so I am not sure what happened.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm so glad to hear that the update improved your battery, cbetts! Let's figure out your Smart Action concern. To begin, try powering your device off & back on, and then readding the bluetooth into the Smart Action. Keep us posted, and let me know if this takes care of it!

Thanks,
MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes