Droid 3
missdawn41
Enthusiast - Level 2

My 1st smartphone & clueless. I happened to run across a list of apps that were all running on my phone. Are all these apps sucking up my 2 GB of data allowance? How/should I shut them off? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid 3
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

missdawn41 wrote:

My 1st smartphone & clueless. I happened to run across a list of apps that were all running on my phone. Are all these apps sucking up my 2 GB of data allowance? How/should I shut them off? 

Hey,

From what I have read, you don't have to worry too much about apps running in the background.  As I understand, Google made the Android software to close apps that aren't used too much when a lot of them are running.  I came from the Blackberry Bold and those devices were notorious for losing precious space when apps were running in the background. 

However, if you are really worried about apps running in the background, you can go to Settings (press the bottom right icon on the bottom of your phone, not the one on the screen, but the phone itself) and select Settings>Applications>Running Services.  From there, you can get an idea of what apps might be running.  It will tally up how much each app is using and give you a total in the bottom right of the Droid 3 of how much free space you have.  Obviously, you must keep some services running, but there might be a few you can close.  Be sure you exit out of an app if it has an exit or close option.  You can look around the web for what some of those services are related to if you are not sure.  One thing I can recommend is placing a SD memory card in your device for storage of applications and other files, such as music and picture.  That will save you a lot of space.  I hope this helps just a little.  Good luck and have fun with your new Droid 3.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Droid 3
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

missdawn41 wrote:

Hey,

From what I have read, you don't have to worry too much about apps running in the background.  As I understand, Google made the Android software to close apps that aren't used too much when a lot of them are running.  I came from the Blackberry Bold and those devices were notorious for losing precious space when apps were running in the background. 

However, if you are really worried about apps running in the background, you can go to Settings (press the bottom right icon on the bottom of your phone, not the one on the screen, but the phone itself) and select Settings>Applications>Running Services.  From there, you can get an idea of what apps might be running.  It will tally up how much each app is using and give you a total in the bottom right of the Droid 3 of how much free space you have.  Obviously, you must keep some services running, but there might be a few you can close.  Be sure you exit out of an app if it has an exit or close option.  You can look around the web for what some of those services are related to if you are not sure.  One thing I can recommend is placing a SD memory card in your device for storage of applications and other files, such as music and picture.  That will save you a lot of space.  I hope this helps just a little.  Good luck and have fun with your new Droid 3.

Doc

0 Likes