Droid 3 No SIM card found and various malfunctions
audentiapuella

Hi everyone,

I have had a Droid 3 phone for a few months.  When I first recieved my new phone from the retailer, it had some simple OS malfunctions like resetting my wallpaper and restarting a couple times.  It only lasted consistantly for a couple days so I didn't return it in the 15 day window they give.  However, if I am opening and closing the slide a few times, the wallpaper problem comes back.  Sometimes it does correct itself if I just turn off and turn back on.  Other times I have to reset.  And it will restart once in a while, but this doesn't bother me so much.  Still not the biggest problem I have though.

Starting yesterday it could not find my SIM card.  After searching online to figure out what that was and where it is located, I also searched solutions.  All places I looked said to try to shim a piece of paper between the card the bar that holds it.  That did not work.  Further advice said to call the manufacturer and have it replaced.  Am I able to do this?  I do not have insurance on this phone.  Would I contact Motorola or Verizon?

Also starting yesterday, the volume adjustment buttons started malfunctioning, they turn the phone on and off (main power is still there, just turns to sleep or awake).  Once I bring the screen back on and unlock it prompts voice command and shows my contact list.  Tried adjusting media sound and in-call volume too and it ends the app or ends my calls.

I'm not sure if the missing SIM card and the other problem are related or coincidence.  Or if the whole phone is a dud?  I'm very careful, no water damage, no dropping, but it can get beat up in my purse I suppose. I used to keep it in my back pocket until someone educated me about how bad that can be.

Any advice?  Specifically can I exchange phones???

Thank you!

Jen

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid 3 No SIM card found and various malfunctions
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

I have a Droid 3 also, and have noticed the wallpaper thing.  I haven't found a cure for that one, but like you said, it is not the biggest problem.  As far as the Sim card, you can go into any Verizon Wireless store and they can replace the Sim card for you.  The only thing you need the Sim card for is for travelling overseas.  Now, this is not true for the Droid 4 or any of the other 4G phones.  The 4G requires the Sim card.  But try swapping it with a replacement from Verizon.  I do not think that is causing your other problems.  It sounds like some of the software may have become corrupt.  I would suggest backing up your data, contacts, etc and then wiping the phone back to factory settings and then reloading the Operating System software.  For more info on how to do this, go to this Verizon page at http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=44747

I have wiped my device before and it doesn't take that long to reload.  It was a lot faster than wiping my old Blackberry.  I think that will get you back up and running smoothly.  Let me know how things go.

Doc

0 Likes
audentiapuella

Hey Doc,

Took your suggestion and did the reset. Phone is back to normal again! No more funky malfunctions, volume adjuster is working with correct outcomes. Yay Smiley Happy I did just swing into the verizon store just in case afterwards and explained everything I had seen and done. The tech looked it over a few minutes couldn't find anything and also, as you did, reassured me the Sim was not necessary for my phone or me since I'm not planning any travel abroad. Thank you for your time and expertise today, I really really appreciate it Smiley Happy

Jen

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey, Jen,

I am so glad you got your Droid 3 up and running again.  Just let us here in the community know if you ever need help again.  Also, we are glad to have you as a part of the community.  Thanks again.

Doc

0 Likes