Defining Search Engine Default on Stratosphere
OldJim

My new Samsung Stratosphere came with Google Search as the default when the Search Icon on the phone was touched.  Today I added Bing as an available application.  Touching the Search Icon now unexpectedly starts Bing instead of Google.  I was shocked that the Bing install caused this to happen and have not been able to locate where I can re-define Google as my Default Browser (touching the Browser Icon on the Home page still brings up Google).

Does anyone know where the Default Browser is defined and how to change it back to Google?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Defining Search Engine Default on Stratosphere
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
What happens if you uninstall the Bing application? Does the search icon revert back to Google has the default search engine?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

If you go into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications, and select Bing, is there an option to clear defaults?  If so, tap that option.  You should get a choice of programs and the option to set your default search engine the next time you tap your search icon.

If you don't have this option under Settings, tap the Search icon, then press the menu key.  You will get the Settings option.  Are you able to choose your search engine here?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your posts!

OldJim, in addition to what 21stNow suggested, you can also try resetting the defaults from Google Search & Search Applications Provider in the same manner. 

0 Likes
OldJim

Thank you for the responses but no success with any attempts to re-set the defaults.

Bing, Google Search, and Search Applications Provider all indicate that there are no defaults set when I go to Manage Applications.

I have not tried the idea of removing Bing yet.  I was hoping to learn where this default setting could be accessed.

I consider this item still open at this time and would appreciate hearing from someone that knows how this function works.

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

OldJim wrote:

Thank you for the responses but no success with any attempts to re-set the defaults.

Bing, Google Search, and Search Applications Provider all indicate that there are no defaults set when I go to Manage Applications.

I have not tried the idea of removing Bing yet.  I was hoping to learn where this default setting could be accessed.

I consider this item still open at this time and would appreciate hearing from someone that knows how this function works.

Hello OldJim!

I would like to offer some assistance.

I tested, and this is what I found:  I had to remove the Bing application (uninstall updates) in the Settings/Manage applications menu, under "All" category.  I then opened the "browser", pressed the "Menu" key, selected "More/Settings", then under "Advanced settings" touched "Select search engine" and changed to "Google".  Now when I use the "Search" icon/key it automatically takes me to a Google search page.

I hope I have answered your questions, and have addressed your concerns.  Please let me know how this works out for you.

0 Likes
OldJim

-----------------------------------

Hello OldJim

I would like to offer some assistance.

I tested, and this is what I found:  I had to remove the Bing application (uninstall updates) in the Settings/Manage applications menu, under "All" category.  I then opened the "browser", pressed the "Menu" key, selected "More/Settings", then under "Advanced settings" touched "Select search engine" and changed to "Google".  Now when I use the "Search" icon/key it automatically takes me to a Google search page.

I hope I have answered your questions, and have addressed your concerns.  Please let me know how this works out for you.

Thanks,

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

------------------------------------

Anthony (et all) -

I appreciate you providing "a solution" to my issue, I had already un-installed Bing and found that Google once again became the default, but I am looking for an understanding of how and where this default is defined.

As I indicated above, I do not consider my issue resolved and would appreciate hearing from anyone that knows where this default is being defined and if there is a way to access it for modification.

- OldJim

0 Likes