Data usage tripled???
balz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just switched from galaxy 3 to galaxy 5 about a week ago.  I have never even come close to data limit in a month and within a week I'm getting texts saying I'm almost at limit?!   I have not changed any of my usage habits, and have the phone set to keep wifi on during sleep.  My biggest data usage times seem to be when I'm asleep at 3 am!   Auto update is not turned on.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data usage tripled???
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can see how that usage would be pretty alarming! Let's check the phone to see what might be using that data. Please go to Settings>Data Usage, and scroll to the apps list. What are the top 3 users of data? How much data has each of them used to date? Please keep us posted!

SandyS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
balz
Enthusiast - Level 2

hi there - hadn't replied because after stopping into the Verizon store, I was told that the initial download of all my apps (from switching phones) is what caused my data usage to blow up.  SO, I was waiting for my billing cycle to restart - which it did on September 3.  Since then, I've already used 10%  of my data usage - when I normally never hit 50 percent in  a month.  Its only been 4 days!! 

My settings are set to download/update apps over wi-fi only, fb is set to play over wifi only.  I have 4 email accounts - and check them regularly.  Top apps are facebook (92.93 mb, - I just turned on restrict background data - but I never used this before - does this mean it won't work if I'm not on wi-fi); chrome (16.77 mb); and Android Core apps (12.07 mb).  

I'd appreciate any help you can offer.  this is simply crazy.  I don't use flipboard, or the magazine widget on the galaxy and my data usage is way over what I have ever used (without changing habits) - and I don't want to change my habits - that's why I carry a smartphone!!

0 Likes
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

Do you have photos (or anything else) set to sync to "the cloud"?  Just about every social app wants to automatically upload your pics.  Google, Verizon, Dropbox, Facebook, etc.  If those are set to sync, that's 3-5 megs times however many apps are syncing every time you snap a picture.  When I take my phone out of the country, it takes me half an hour to go through the settings turning off data access for all the apps that expect to have 24/7 data connections.  And then I still turn off data unless I need it active right that minute and can't get WiFi.  Then I turn it back off.

I'd be nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs if my domestic data usage was metered.  It's crazy that wireless carriers keep handing out phones that use more and more data while they keep squeezing customers who move data thru their phones.

0 Likes