Cell phone connects then drops wifi.
Dinger
Enthusiast - Level 1

That I connect to a Wi-Fi device  it will be stay connected for a few seconds and then drops. I know there's nothing wrong with the Wi-Fi because all my other devices stay connected. But for some reason my galaxy note 4 all of a sudden will not stay connected to any Wi-Fi that  as previously worked for the last six or eight months. I've tried everything I know to do not being the most technologically capable person I need help. LOL thanks

Labels (1)
Re: Cell phone connects then drops wifi.
Fpergament

Same problem on my 1yr old Galaxy S7... but only with my home AT&T Router.  All my other wireless devices (2 iPad, 2 PC) connect easily and stay connected.  Support said to reboot router, that does NOT resolve my repeated disconnects.  I told support this problem began IMMEDIATELY with the last System update, which had WiFi fixes in it... but they aren't listening.  Did they resolve your problem?

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

What OS are your phones running?  There was a discussion on WiFi issues 'obtaining IP address' where a possible solution was described relating to IP assignment via DHCP:

Android Marshmallow (6.0.1) has a common issue with unreliable WiFi connections. If you find that your phone gets stuck “Obtaining IP Address” here’s how to fix it. You may have tried “forgetting” the network, rebooting your router, resetting your phone - all to no avail. The issue is with the DHCP client (software that negotiates IP addresses) new to Marshmallow. Thankfully this is easy enough to revert, without downgrading your phone.

1. Go to Settings > About Phone
  2. Repeatedly tap Build Number (7 times) until you see a message “You are now a developer!”.
  3. Now go to Settings > Developer Options
  4. In the Networking section enable Use Legacy DHCP Client
...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I have had problems with the wifi settings on my phone since I got it about a year ago. I have the S7 edge which I had to trade in my Note 7 for. I posted about this problem when I got this phone and as of today never got an answer that really solved this problem. Supposedly in one of the update patches they said there was a fix in there that would take care of the problem I see this morning that people with the S8 got an update and are having this problem. I too have rebooted the router and it seem to work at first but disconnects after awhile. One of the things I have done that seems to last longer is going into settings-backup and reset- and go down and reset network settings. Like I said it is not the fix for this problem but it does seem like it lasts longer then rebooting the router. Until they get a real fix for this I would recommend that you turn off mobile data if you are at home or at some place that has a wifi router that you can connect to. Hopefully they will hear us and get this fixed. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dinger, we really want to resolve this. I use my WiFi to save my data so I feel for you. Have you tried connecting to more than one source of WiFi? Have you made any major changes to your phone? (software updates, new applications,etc.)

MarcusS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand the importance of being able to stay connected to your WiFi network Fpergament. We will definitely do everything we can to help. Does this issue only happen with your home router or does it happen with any WiFi network you connect to? How long does the device stay connected before the disconnect occurs?

RashadM_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's important to be able to stay connected to WiFi, kathy65793. Do you experience this issue with multiple WiFi networks? Are other devices able to stay connected to your home WiFi network? Samsung has recently sent out a software update for your phone on 10/31/17, have you had a chance to download by chance? If so, has this helped improve your connection?

LaurenC_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Maludawg1
Enthusiast - Level 1

So it's July 2023, almost 6 years later,  and I've been having this exact problem for about 2 months.   I'm using a galaxy s10 plus,  with Fios for wifi.  I tried resetting the network on the phone,  forgetting the ssid, restarting the ont, home router,  etc.   

@jav6 Your suggestion led me to the fix and I can't thank you enough!.  Although I didn't find "use Legacy DHCP client," what worked for me was to enable"Enhanced Wi-Fi  MAC Randomnization"

• Go to Settings > About Phone
  • Repeatedly tap Build Number (7 times) until you see a message “You are now a developer!”.
  • Now go to Settings > Developer Options > Networking 
  • enable "Enhanced Wi-Fi  MAC Randomnization"

Hope this helps someone else struggling!

kh_jenn

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes