Cannot Get Verification Code Texts
TomRVA1
Enthusiast - Level 3

My new (1 week old) Moto G7 Play is not receiving verification code text messages.  Other texts come through OK.  However, no security code messages needed for account verification are received by it.  This has happened on three different unrelated accounts.

My wife’s older Moto G6 Play does not have this problem.  Both phones are running Android 9.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot Get Verification Code Texts
TomRVA1
Enthusiast - Level 3

The problem is fixed!  It was indeed a bad SIM.  I got a replacement today and it fixed the SMS problems I was having.

The best guide I found for troubleshooting the problem is located here.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would be happy to troubleshoot this with you. Is the device currently conntected to Wi-Fi? Have you seen any difference with Wi-Fi on or off?

RobertH_VZW

0 Likes
TomRVA1
Enthusiast - Level 3

The phone has been on Wi-Fi throughout.  Are text messages not sent via SMS?

0 Likes
TomRVA1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did turn off W-Fi and use LTE.  No change in the problem was noted.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@TomRVA1 ,

Thank you for confirming you've been using Wi-Fi. As for your question though, SMS is another name for text messages (MMS would refer to picture or video messages that you text). Texts use the same mobile connection that a phone call would use, which is why we generally ask you how calls or texts are working when you're having an issue with one or the other. If your phone is able to send and receive texts without any issues, that would mean your phone is not having any texting issues. Other than a new phone, have you made any other changes to the phone since this had started? For example, a different text messaging app or a different phone number? Are you able to check with the places that you are trying to get a verification text from that they have confirmed it has been sent without issue from their end?

RussellM_VZW

0 Likes
TomRVA1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your response.  I am using the default texting app which came with phone.  I am also trying to verify whether or not the verification code was ever sent from from the accounts verifying the phone.  However, contacting human beings in technical support at these companies is challenging.

The phone number I am using is new as I could not transfer my old, soon to expire, flip phone number to my new phone.  Another anomaly is I can send text messages to my old flip phone from my Moto G7 Play, but messages from my old to my new phone are lost like the verification codes.  All other texting works fine. This includes sending texts fro my old flip phone to my wife's Moto G6 Play.

0 Likes
kevin_heard

Tom... I am jsut another fristerated customer; but if you're trying to text "To:" a MetroPCS (possibly including all of T-Mobile???), it stopped working again yesterday.  You can receive texts, but cannot send them  ---  comes back "send failed" in red.  That's all I had.  This is my first time here.  Good luck. I am porting my phone on Monday

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We will do all that we can to get your text issue resolved TomRVA1. We can check the settings on your device? What device do you have? Are you having issues receiving text from any contacts or other companies you text? 

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Likes
TomRVA1
Enthusiast - Level 3

My phone is a Moto G7 Play running Android 9.  I can exchange texts with other phones without problem.  I also receive Verizon text messages.  I can send texts to my expiring flip phone but not receive texts from it (see earlier post). However, verification texts from three different and diverse accounts never make it to my phone.  I have never been able to complete a cell phone verification transaction.

The phone was activated about a week ago.  It is using a new (to me) number.

TomRVA1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can send texts just fine.  It is verification codes sent to me that are disappearing without trace.  I get no error or warning messages.