Calls and texting on tablets! (Voice/SMS on tablets)
antonindvorak
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have read several threads in which community members have asked about texting via their tablets.  I've seen responses marked as "Correct responses" that are not entirely true.  Don't let verizon or the armchair "experts" fool you.  Many current tablets have been designed and built with the necessary hardware capable of making regular voice calls and SMS (texts) with your regular phone/SMS/data smartphone plan SIM used with your tablet.  Verizon has chosen to prevent you, via restrictive firmware/software, from utilizing these features that were designed and built into your device by the manufacturer.

If you have a tablet plan, then yes, the plan does not support regular voice calls and SMS; however, don't be bamboozled by verizon or others when you are told that you must have a tablet-specific plan for your tablet.  You are being lied to.

I have unsuccessfully attempted to resolve this issue on my now three year old tablet (https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/921688 ), but the issue still applies to many of the current available tablets.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Calls and texting on tablets! (Voice/SMS on tablets)
antonindvorak
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are mistaken. The Samsung N-8020 is a tablet more than three years old on which one can make regular voice calls.  It was designed by Samsung with this feature.  The Samsung SCH-i925 is the same tablet but with verizon's firmware, etc. These are but two examples.  There are others.  Note than in the original post that I did not say that all tablets had the ability to make voice calls via CDMA, GSM, etc.  I said that "many" had this capability.

I am not asking verizon to allow voice calls on a $10 per month tablet plan, but one need not get a $10 per month tablet plan if one already has a smartphone plan.  Just pop your smartphone SIM into your tablet.   Data will work fine, and if you have a tablet capable of voice calls over CDMA, voice calls are possible, too without the need to use VOIP unless you'd rather go that route.

Please don't assume that all of us have verizon plans from among the current crop of lousy plans available.  I have a very old grandfathered alltel plan with unlimited data, unlimited texts, and 2000 minutes.   Data works as expected when I use my SIM with this device.  When I put my SIM in my friend's N-8020, voice calls work as I would expect them to.

Using a tablet as a phone may not be something that you'd like to do, but there are many people here in the United States and many more in Europe and around the world who do.  There are manufacturers who design tablets with CDMA, GSM, etc. voice capabilities, so clearly there is a market for using tablets with phone capabilities.     I'm quite sure that companies the likes of Samsung have done their research. 

When one looks at the hardware of a Samsung N-8020 or Samsung SCh-i925, one will see that they are just smartphones with big screens.

Of course, one can use Message+ as ones text app, (I am very familiar with the app), but Message+ on a tablet handles texts differently than regular SMS texting.

View solution in original post

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

First, what exactly is the three year old tablet you are using. By most standards it is considered outdated.

Second, Verizon doesn't prevent you from doing this. You need to have Verizon Messages+ on your mobile phone and enable Advanced Calling on the mobile phone. Then you can download the Messages+ on your capable tablet. Sign in with your VZW number and you should be set to make calls and send messages over wifi.

Better yet FB messenger does this with NO setup.

0 Likes
antonindvorak
Enthusiast - Level 3

You clearly do not understand what I am talking about with respect to SMS/voice calls.  I am well aware of the message+ application offered by verizon.  I am also well aware of VOIP calling.  Please research the difference between SMS and texting via Message+.  Also, research the difference between voicecalls over GSM/CDMA versus VOIP. 

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Tablets were never meant for this. Especially 3 year old tablets. Is there a carrier tablet that lets you make phone calls?

I don't have to research anything.

BTW, Messages+ is the app I use on my mobile phone. It allows me to send and receive messages through the network. My mobile phone also allows me to make and receive calls over the CDMA network. All of this because that is what a mobile phone is designed to do. Tablets are not designed for that. If so, Apple wouldn't sell many iPhones. However, Apple has made the iPad able make calls and send SMS through network by using your iPhone to do it.

Verizon will never allow you to use minutes and messaging on a network capable tablet for only $10 per month access fee. Would you like that access fee to go up to the $20-$40 that a smartphone costs? Think about what you're asking for. There will be additional costs involved. In the end, tablets are not phones. Why would anyone want to carry a tablet around as phone anyway?

antonindvorak
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are mistaken. The Samsung N-8020 is a tablet more than three years old on which one can make regular voice calls.  It was designed by Samsung with this feature.  The Samsung SCH-i925 is the same tablet but with verizon's firmware, etc. These are but two examples.  There are others.  Note than in the original post that I did not say that all tablets had the ability to make voice calls via CDMA, GSM, etc.  I said that "many" had this capability.

I am not asking verizon to allow voice calls on a $10 per month tablet plan, but one need not get a $10 per month tablet plan if one already has a smartphone plan.  Just pop your smartphone SIM into your tablet.   Data will work fine, and if you have a tablet capable of voice calls over CDMA, voice calls are possible, too without the need to use VOIP unless you'd rather go that route.

Please don't assume that all of us have verizon plans from among the current crop of lousy plans available.  I have a very old grandfathered alltel plan with unlimited data, unlimited texts, and 2000 minutes.   Data works as expected when I use my SIM with this device.  When I put my SIM in my friend's N-8020, voice calls work as I would expect them to.

Using a tablet as a phone may not be something that you'd like to do, but there are many people here in the United States and many more in Europe and around the world who do.  There are manufacturers who design tablets with CDMA, GSM, etc. voice capabilities, so clearly there is a market for using tablets with phone capabilities.     I'm quite sure that companies the likes of Samsung have done their research. 

When one looks at the hardware of a Samsung N-8020 or Samsung SCh-i925, one will see that they are just smartphones with big screens.

Of course, one can use Message+ as ones text app, (I am very familiar with the app), but Message+ on a tablet handles texts differently than regular SMS texting.