CDMA Phone
stephcait

I currently have a Galaxy S5 through verizon, however it is doing horribly. It freezes every time I try to open something and it operates really slow. I'm heading into law school and don't exactly have $700 to drop on a new phone. My friend was going to give me a phone she has that is brand new, however, it is a CDMA phone and doesn't have a SIM card. Does this mean that I can't transfer my info? Can I keep my current number? Will it affect my plan at all.

(I can't go through my Verizon account because my aunt owns it and no matter how many times she calls Verizon to add my name to the account, they never actually do it so when I call they won't let me do anything).

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: CDMA Phone
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We do not want you to have to spend anything extra for a phone if there is something we can do to fix your S5. Have we been able to do any troubleshooting with you?

This is a great guide http://vz.to/MLDgRr for help with troubleshooting various issues for your specific device.

You can always check to see if a phone is compatible with our network by checking the ESN/MEID right here http://bit.ly/QwJKVF.

Additionally, your aunt can personally add you to the account as an account manager directly from her My Verizon account by following the steps listed here http://vz.to/1vU4nJK.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
stephcait

My aunt has done the process before and it still doesn't work. Because of this, I cannot call Verizon and have them troubleshoot because they do not see me on the account. Second, a week after I got the phone it crashed and Verizon replaced it because it wasn't my fault, so now because I have gotten it replaced once before, I cannot get it replaced again.

Also, my question about the CDMA phone has still not been answered. If I switch over, can I use my new number?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

As long as it is a Verizon CDMA phone, you can have it replace the S5 and you would keep your same number. You may need to go into a store , but there are ways to get phone book info transferred to the older type phones. CDMA phones do not use a SIM card, but that is not how the address book gets transferred usually. Do you have Verizon Cloud? You can back up your phone book there on the S5, and if the CDMA phone has a utility from Verizon to download the address book from the cloud, that may be the easiest and would not require going into a store. You don't mention what is the make and model of the CDMA phone so it is hard to be specific.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

$700......you can go on a month 2 month plan.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the make and model of the CDMA phone?  Is it Verizon branded?  You said it doesn't have a SIM card - is it capapble of using a SIM card?  If it's the same size as your S5 SIM, you can just put the S5 SIM in to the borrowed phone to see if it will activate.

Your contacts, photos, music and apps *should* be backed up through your google account; when you activate a new Android phone, log in with the same google account and all your stuff should sync to the new phone.

If the borrowed phone is not Verizon branded and does not have the same bands active, you may bot be able to use it on Verizon.

0 Likes