C811 release date?
dirtybiketrash
Enthusiast - Level 3

The date that had been rumored for the replacement to the Casio Commando was today (06/06/13).  Since that is obviously not the case, what is everyone hearing?  My phone is about dead, and I want the 4G capabilities of the C811 (if that is what the next one is).  Also, due to job and lifestyle considerations, I really need the phone to be ruggedized.  I have been reading about the specifications of the next phone for some time now, first it was rumored for a May release, then June.  I know Sprint has released the Torque...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: C811 release date?
TL56
Enthusiast - Level 1

What I hope that VZW realizes is that this tiny number of Casio fans taking the time to write in this forum are a minute fraction of users who are anxious to have a new, ruggedized phone with up-to-date specs.  The vast majority of such users will simply give up on you without you knowing it.  Verizon, at the very least, should offer some explanation of what is going on, what has gone wrong and what we can expect, instead of the insultingly vague nonsense that we are forced to tolerate, at present.

View solution in original post

dirtybiketrash
Enthusiast - Level 3

If this phone isn't going to happen, is there another alternative military spec phone on the horizon?

0 Likes
bostonjones

Samsung is putting out a waterproof/sandproof version of the Galaxy S4 later this summer, called the S4 Active.  Verizon does sell the S4, and hopefully they'll pick up the Active (see the link I've attached for the specs below).  I nosed around at the Kyoceras over at Sprint, but neither the brand nor the carrier have the best of reputations, so I'm not particularly interested in jumping ship on either account just yet.  This link is one of several sites with S4 Active specs: http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/mobile-stars-latest-smartphones-and-tablets/2013...

Casio had been working on a Gshock phone at one point, and there were specs and pictures like 18 months ago.  It was supposed to be quad core and crazy, and looked like something the Batman would carry; http://www.phonearena.com/news/G-Shock-phone-is-ugly-but-tough-enough-not-to-care_id26223.  That's the phone we'd all like I think: some kind of a waterproof beast with quad core, plenty of internal memory (don't get me wrong, I like the Commando, but they hosed us on that aspect, and it's not like flash memory is expensive), a decent camera, and no need for a case.  And that seems to be about what that Samsung looks like it could be.

Now, the real problem is that with so many of us coming to the end of our contracts and dealing with Commandos which are starting to misbehave, we've got this limbo period where we need phones but don't have options we want.  Verizon will lose its entire market share of people who want a ruggedized smartphone if they don't do something soon (you hear that VZW?  We're calling you out and telling you that you've mishandled this and stand to lose us as customers), and Casio is going to get run out of the general consumer business end of things.  This is extra ridiculous because reports about the C811 go back to like October of last year.  We should have had that phone 6 months ago.  It's not a matter of entitlement so much as "there is no reason for you to have sat on an upgrade people want."  It's like they think we're going to go from high-durability phone to signing a new contract to get some fancy new something that will die if it gets wet.  There's no reason in the world to make a not-waterproof phone other than wanting to force people to buy replacements.  I doubt the marketshare for replacements is so big that they'd be losing out if they sold fewer of them.

0 Likes
JJ12
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got off the phone with Casio, looks like it won't be released until next year... Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Verizon: IF THERE IS ANYTHING YOU CAN DO TO GET THIS OUT ASAP DO IT NOW OR YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE ME AND MANY OTHERS OUT THERE THAT LOVE THE CASIO PHONES.

0 Likes
dirtybiketrash
Enthusiast - Level 3

That makes a lot of sense, let's wait until it is really outdated, then release it.  Then the brain-trust will determine there is no market for the military spec phones, because no one bought them.

And as far as the S4 Active, sand and water resistance are just two of the many elements taken into consideration for a military spec phone.  I mean, the Razor M has water resistance.  Granted, I am probably preaching to the choir here...

0 Likes
Unclerichie

Like many of you, I've been waiting patiently for the new Casio. I've never owned the first Commando, it looked cool to me, but that phone was outdated right after it's release as VZW went 4g. We can only speculate as to why verizon is dragging it's feet on a new release. While I've seen posts about people ready to leave verizon over this, keep in mind huge companies look at numbers; so they're not worried about losing real marketshare because you and I are disappointed about Milspec phone choice. They need to hear a lot of people are leaving because other providers are providing better "tough phone" choices. At this point, I'm hesitant if they release this casio tomorrow!! Other than 4g and milspec, it sounds very unimpressive. One reason they may have delayed the release is to get rid of untold numbers of 1st gen Commandos!  Who will want one when the new one is released?  That phone is so behind, they should give it free or for $20 with a 2 year contract!  By the way, the tough phone and milspec phone thing is catching on and hopefully going to continue to grow. Look at companies like Otterbox; people can't afford to replace something that can't handle a drop of water or fall from a table. I'm looking at the SamS4 active; I understand it's not full milspec, but if it can handle some abuse, I'm willing to give it a try. Perhaps verizon is looking at that phone and considering dumping the Casio???

0 Likes
dirtybiketrash
Enthusiast - Level 3

I understand you...don't like it, but I do understand.  The rough math of it boils down to if they do still have approximately 2,400 in stock, and they have a list price of approximately $500 per unit, that is over a million dollars in merchandise left on the shelves.  That being said, I wish they would discount them to get them moving.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Dirtybiketrash,

I can understand your excitement about a new device launching on Verizon Wireless.  I love to hear any information about devices in the wireless industry that take technology to the next level.  We currently do not have any information on the device or release date.  You can view www.vzw.com/news to find out the latest information about devices launching on the network.

WarrenM_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
TL56
Enthusiast - Level 1

What I hope that VZW realizes is that this tiny number of Casio fans taking the time to write in this forum are a minute fraction of users who are anxious to have a new, ruggedized phone with up-to-date specs.  The vast majority of such users will simply give up on you without you knowing it.  Verizon, at the very least, should offer some explanation of what is going on, what has gone wrong and what we can expect, instead of the insultingly vague nonsense that we are forced to tolerate, at present.

dirtybiketrash
Enthusiast - Level 3

It doesn't do a lot of good to refer us to a news page that doesn't have any information, either.

0 Likes