Re: Battery Life AWFUL since update!!!!
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I'd definitely like to know the outcome of you trying all this. I did the cache wipe and am still experiencing the faster battery drain. I wish I had looked at the battery usage before installing all the same apps back onto the phone after my factory reset.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Did you restore the apps, or download them again fresh?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Oh no, everything was disabled; back up and restore. I downloaded everything fresh from the play store. Thankfully it did cure some other minor glitches, but now my OS is always at that pesky number 1 or 2 spot on the battery usage. I think I might sit back and do another factory reset later just to see what happens. Deleting cache hasn't done anything and I don't have any new apps that I didn't have before. In fact I opted to not download a number of them I had before. Just did the basics.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Sounds like the S5 was just a failure phone with LP.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Not at all actually. I did the lollipop update when it was first offered and nothing major happened. Just slowly little glitches started happening, not all that bothersome and nothing to do with battery drain. When I had part of the day to factory reset I did - maybe 3 weeks ago. Glitches are gone, just dealing with some faster battery drain. Nothing that can't be resolved.

Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Did you first try running it in Recovery or safe mode?  Running it this way will load only the OS and not all of your apps so you can see if it is an app causing the issue or something more that may need an FDR to clear it out.  95% of the time it is an app causing the issues because it was either not updated to work with the new OS or it needs to be removed and reinstalled to reset the app itself.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I haven't done that yet. I've needed my phone fully functional this PM. I think I will try that, just to see. Though I know the OS is what's sucking up all the battery power, but it could very well be an app that's making the OS continually run. I'll report back on my safe mode findings.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Some of the apps that have been known to cause similar issues are

Facebook

The Camera

MyVerizon

Google (the Google App itself) and it was just updated.  I removed it from my phone as the newest one was draining my battery faster as well.  It will remove all updates and leave the original one.  I had a backup of version 4.3.10.88581490 that I put back on my phone and it works much better.

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I don't have Facebook. I've never seen the Camera or My Verizon on the battery page, though I do use them I just don't think enough to even be marked down as 1%.

Google Services

Exchange Services

Android OS

Android System

Those are my top 4 items used and my phone was in Safe Mode for most of the day. Given my battery didn't drain as fast, but that's because I couldn't use it for the things I'd normally need it for. Except to make a 15 minute phone call and send a few text messages. Doing that I've lost 30% of my battery since this AM.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

OK so one thing I would try is going to the Google APP and uninstalling it (it will give you a message that it will only uninstall updates, which is what you want) Right after uninstalling the updates, go to Google Play> MyApps and it will show Google App as needing to be updated. Click on it once and then click on the menu to uncheck auto update.  Restart your phone (I would do a cache wipe after uninstalling this one) then give it a shot in regular mode. The last 2 versions of Google have been battery hogs and really offer no new advantages

0 Likes