Battery Draining Issue After Lollipop 5.0.1 Update!
oteroaf

VZW and the VZW Community:

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note Edge that just received the Android Lollipop 5.0.1 update to its firmware. I also made sure to update Google Play Services as well as the other Apps after this firmware update took place. However, this update appears to have several issues with battery management as it drains at least 50% faster than prior to the update. I read the following thread from the Google site stating that 5.0.1 could possibly have a bug related to this issue:

Issue 93639 - android - Battery drain on Android Lollipop 5.0.1 - Android Open Source Project - Issu...

Could anyone please tell me how to resolve this without having to do a complete factory restore? Maybe, VZW could release the newest Lollipop to account for any big fixes. Will that be available? After further research, I noticed many other individuals that encountered the same issues prior to the newest update push. Any input would be greatly appreciated as this is really putting a damper on using my device.

Regards,

Ray

Verizon Wireless Customer Support

Android

Verizon Admin

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Battery Draining Issue After Lollipop 5.0.1 Update!
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

It's always...alarming when the android OS is the top items on the list. Which is mostly what I was wondering about. The screen %, while high and could probably be reduced with a couple power saving techniques isn't going to resolve your issue.

I think you need to perform a factory reset, which while is a pain, more often than not resolves some issues.

You should go into settings>back up and restore and unselect app data back up and restore before hand. You should also back up photos, contacts, messages, videos etc. Anything you want to keep to your cloud of choice; I usually just use Verizon because it's free. THEN log into said cloud from the computer and make sure it's all been backed up.

From there you want to perform a factory reset, which does as it says, reverts your phone back to factory EXCEPT the operating system will be the same. I'm sure you're thinking "then what's the point??" but just think of it like installing windows 10 on top of windows vista, you want to get rid of vista completely before you put 10 on.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Can you look under settings>battery and report what the top 5 things are being used and their %?

This works best if you charge your phone to 100%, use as normal and then report once it reaches 20% or below (the lower the better.)

0 Likes
oteroaf

Hi,

I was able to obtain the metrics you requested from 100% down to when the phone lost all it's battery power. I took screenshots of the graph, as well as the top five culprits including Android, and other Droid services. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Ray Raymond has files to share with you on OneDrive. To view them, click the links below. Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 16:02:05 -0700

0 Likes
oteroaf

Screenshot_2015-07-07-19-06-16.pngScreenshot_2015-07-07-19-06-28.pngScreenshot_2015-07-07-19-06-40.png

0 Likes
oteroaf

Hi,

The screenshots are in the separate posting.

Let me know your thoughts.

Ray

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

It's always...alarming when the android OS is the top items on the list. Which is mostly what I was wondering about. The screen %, while high and could probably be reduced with a couple power saving techniques isn't going to resolve your issue.

I think you need to perform a factory reset, which while is a pain, more often than not resolves some issues.

You should go into settings>back up and restore and unselect app data back up and restore before hand. You should also back up photos, contacts, messages, videos etc. Anything you want to keep to your cloud of choice; I usually just use Verizon because it's free. THEN log into said cloud from the computer and make sure it's all been backed up.

From there you want to perform a factory reset, which does as it says, reverts your phone back to factory EXCEPT the operating system will be the same. I'm sure you're thinking "then what's the point??" but just think of it like installing windows 10 on top of windows vista, you want to get rid of vista completely before you put 10 on.

0 Likes
oteroaf

Thanks. I may have to give that a whirl here shortly. Let's see if that resolves it. I'm just curious as to why VZW doesn't just release what could very well be a possible culprit within the 5.0.1 firmware itself. Most other carriers have their devices at 5.1 already.Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 17:46:01 -0700

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

You should still ideally perform a factory reset before the update, or after for optimal performance.

0 Likes
oteroaf

Ok I will give that a shot.Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 17:59:03 -0700

0 Likes
Oscubed

The solution to this issue is the 5.1.1 update, which is already available on ATT and other providers for the Edge. Why does it always take Verizon 2x as long to release updates?

0 Likes