Awful experience with LG
ErikP343
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi All, Sorry if this is long but I think the whole story is pertinent! thx

Had my G3 for about 8 months, got it the day it came out for Verizon. Recently started noticing i was no longer able to long press icons, long press snapchats, and use the screen in various ways like couldnt press buttons in the top right corner screen and other ways. Called LG since its under warranty they said send it in and theyll repair it.

Went and used their label and put into an box and sent it. One week later they received it and very quickly a package was sent out to me, even seemed like they didnt receive the package before the new one was sent. Well, by week 2 they sent back the WRONG PHONE. It was an optimus phone. Here's where it gets bad.

Calling their customer support and being on hold for very long periods of time, they said multiple times that I had in fact gotten the correct phone and me telling them no its not, they finally realized and said oh ok you received the wrong phone. They then told me even my other phone would be returned to me 'as is' because of 'Liquid Damage'. This is an all out lie, they sent me a blurry photo of the innards of a phone with 'corrosion' around the outside saying thats the water damage.

THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE. I took care of my phone like a baby, had a big case, not a scratch or blemish on it it has never been near or in the water ever. I tell them that they say well there's nothing we can do and they will be contacting me about instructions for sending back the wrong phone and how they're going to first find, then get my old broken phone back to me.

I could not believe the mess this has become. Going on 3 weeks now without a phone and even when I do get it back, which will be for weeks at this rate, itll still come back broken and with the lie that I had water damage.

Even funnier (more suspicious) the phone that they sent me also says 'Sent back unrepairable -- liquid damage'. So they did it to this guy, and me, and it all seems a bit too easy for them to just get phones and send them back saying its liquid damage and making it up so they dont repair them.

Going to be a month without a phone and even when I do get it back its still broken, what should I do? Guess just go to my insurance and get it replaced, which means I need to pay the deductable and who knows the hurdles going that route..great..

Anything you guys think I can do? This is a very disappointing and frustrating situation which Im sure Im not alone in.. Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Awful experience with LG
stef7
Master - Level 2

Well, your LG G3 like every phone has a unique electronic identifier (IMEI). Your account no doubt still has that identifier loaded and you can ask VZW for it. But also - I can't imagine you processing a warranty return without entering that number. There should have been absolutely no ambiguity as to your phone / make / model sent in for repair.

It sounds like they lost your device. Call in and be calm and speak to them again. Provide your IMEI. You should be documented.

Also, how did you pay for your phone? Did you use a major CC? Many CCs will extend a warranty by one year, and will also go to bat for you if the manufacturer fails to honor their warranty.

Give LG another chance. Get your information together. Be calm. Speak respectfully to them. Put them in a position to make it right for you. If they don't then I would consider contacting my credit card company. If you are in good standing with them, and if they extend the manufacturer's warranty, I'd pursue then getting a new replacement that way.

0 Likes
ErikP343
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply stef7 !

I understand what you mean and I have stayed calm the whole time and nice to the people at customer support because i know it is not them making these decisions its the company LG itself and the handling of claims.  I have called them 5 times now because I kept needing to follow up myself even though they said they would call me with a resolution - that never happened.  They have told me twice now there's nothing they can do and theyre giving my broken phone back.

Also, yes i gave the IMEI number of my phone and the wrong phone and they realized the error.

My device was sent to another person - Im guessing the guy who thought he would be getting his optimus back - with the same 'liquid damage' claim on his.. So they are in the process of locating it and getting it back to me.  So that could be a very long time before they get it sent back to texas then to nj...

Used american express card to buy the phone, when you say 'go to bat' with the manufacturer, what do I do call Amex and tell them LG is lying about liquid damage?  Not sure how that works.. have you done that before?

Thanks again.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

AMEX? That would be great for you, because they do extend warranties by a year. At least mine does. You call them (number on back of the card). Tell them what happened: The device became defective in the first year of ownership, they told you to send it in for service and they lost it - now LG will not honor their warranty.

You must be able to provide them documentation, probably of the original sale, but also of the request for warranty repair. My thinking is, even if you don't have the original sales receipt, if you know approximately when it was purchased, they should be able to find it.

I think it's worth trying. Good luck.

0 Likes