Are smart phones a true GPS device
Spade5
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an older flip phone and my family is bugging me to get with the times and I am resisting.

Is a typical smart phone a true GPS device or does the app require network connectivity to give you directions, map, etc.

I am trying to decide if I need a newer handheld GPS or if the phone would work.  I sometimes drive in areas where there is absolutely no service of any kind.

I have asked several sales reps and get conflicting answers.  If I can get away with one device, I would rather go that route.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Are smart phones a true GPS device
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Spade5,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us today. I can understand wanting to get down to just one device if you can. So that way you don't have to carry around so many. So this is a great question. You would need to have a data signal in order for the GPS services to work on the phone. There would be application on the smartphone that you would use for the GPS. If there is no data signal the GPS will not be able to give the directions. I hope that this was able to address your concerns. If you have other questions please feel free to reach out to us at anytime.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Re: Are smart phones a true GPS device
vivona
Enthusiast - Level 2

There are two kinds of navigation apps that run on smartphones, online and offline. Online apps, like Google Maps, require a data signal in order to download the required maps and directions as needed. You have to maintain that data connection to use it, particularly when you change directions or move out of the area of the currently downloaded map segments.

For your application, you want an offline navigation app. Once you install the app and download the full set of map files, you will have a fully-functioning GPS device that will work just like a handheld GPS receiver. I recommend Co-Pilot Premium USA, available in the Google Play store. For only $8, you will get the same navigation system that BMW uses in their cars. It has a very easy interface, good maps and turn-by-turn voice guidance. The only weakness is that you can't control it by your own voice. I have used it extensively on trips on a tablet that does not have data services and it works just as good as any handheld GPS, like a Garmin. You only buy it once. You get lifetime upgrades of the software and maps for free! If you do have a data connection, you can also add live traffic. The traffic service comes free for the first year, then it costs a small subscription, about $12 per year.