Are all devices available through Verizon now 'unlocked'?
TheUnfunnyGuy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Given that based on the new plans, the customer owns the phone and is just paying EMIs for 24 months, are they all unlocked by default?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Are all devices available through Verizon now 'unlocked'?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

While all LTE phones are indeed unlocked, they may or may not have the frequencies to work with other carriers.  Make sure you do your research before purchasing a device and trying to use it on a different carrier.  I think that in order to receive any possible firmware updates, you need to be connected to Verizon's network.

View solution in original post

mama23dogs
Legend

Yea, Verizon phones are required to be unlocked out of the box.

TheUnfunnyGuy
Enthusiast - Level 2

That was not the case before though, right?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

4G LTE devices are unlocked. Not 3G phones.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

They are unlocked based on Block C rules and not buy payments. Like a car or a house you don't own the home or car without paying it off. Unlike those however cellphones they charge you what you owe over what taking back the property.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

While all LTE phones are indeed unlocked, they may or may not have the frequencies to work with other carriers.  Make sure you do your research before purchasing a device and trying to use it on a different carrier.  I think that in order to receive any possible firmware updates, you need to be connected to Verizon's network.

TheUnfunnyGuy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, humor me for a minute. Do you think it would work if I add a new line to my plan, trade-in a phone for the $300 gift card, cancel this line and then use the phone with my existing Verizon line?

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

It would work, but the line has to remain active for a certain amount of time (I think 90 days) in order to qualify for the gift card.  If you cancel too early, they may charge you for the full amount.  But, yes, you could activate the new device on your line.

Tidbits
Legend

The line has to be active until after the OK

0 Likes