Anyone else? Droid X has become too slow and sluggish?
terieee

My Droid X is becoming more and more sluggish. Doesn't respond until a few seconds after I touch an icon. I do have over 4,000 contacts - would that slow it down? I've moved several apps over to the SD card and rebooted, etc. May help a tad, but other than that? I don't know. I have removed apps that are mentioned to slow down the Droid, but it is still too slow. Any ideas?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Anyone else? Droid X has become too slow and sluggish?
Wildman
Legend

lilhairhut wrote:

i have pondered over this wildman but i'm not real phone savy and when i open that screen i am afraid i will turn off or delete one of the system apps and won't know how to recover it!!!

Understandable if you dont feel comfrontable stay away from it until you feel that it is for you and just for the record the application can not delete or remove any applications, it just closes the app and when the system requires the app it will automatically open the program again but if a system app is closed it can make device unstable, so once again dont try this if you are not comfrontable.

Clearing the cache was a good suggestion that works well a large amount of the time, so you cant do back with this option...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
lilhairhut

i have the droid x and was having similar issues and i have found if i clear my cache and stop programs running in the background that i'm not using it helps a bunch,,, i have several contacts too but that doesn't seem to be a problem however alot of pictures will slow it down too!!  Hope this helps..

0 Likes
terieee

Great idea...I just cleared my cache, and now will see how it works. Can't hurt, for sure.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

One more thing to look into is making sure that any applications you have opened has been closed so the device will reclaim the ram back to the system because when ram gets low this can cause lagging issues...  I kind of stop suggesting a task killer but I use one on mine and as long as I exclude system apps it minimize this issue when it pops up.

0 Likes
lilhairhut

i have pondered over this wildman but i'm not real phone savy and when i open that screen i am afraid i will turn off or delete one of the system apps and won't know how to recover it!!!

0 Likes
Anyone else? Droid X has become too slow and sluggish?
lilhairhut

hope it works for ya terieee

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

lilhairhut wrote:

Understandable if you dont feel comfrontable stay away from it until you feel that it is for you and just for the record the application can not delete or remove any applications, it just closes the app and when the system requires the app it will automatically open the program again but if a system app is closed it can make device unstable, so once again dont try this if you are not comfrontable.

Clearing the cache was a good suggestion that works well a large amount of the time, so you cant do back with this option...

0 Likes
terieee

I think it helped....and I have a task killer. Is that the same as making sure the apps are closed as suggested by Wildman?

0 Likes
kpanchot
Enthusiast - Level 2

task killer will not close any apps that are set to auto start by default. that can be a good thing since that means it wont deactivate the app that controls your touch screen, dial pad, swype, etc etc but if you have ANY app that is set to start itself on startup it wont close those either. its good to occasionally go setting>applications>running services>and tap on the names of apps you recognize as apps you downloaded yourself(if their name doesnt really make a word leave it alone) and just tap to force close and clear cache and clear data. it wont delete the app itself. just delete the extra files with it. another thing to try as well is to bring up your browser hit menu(the 4 squares towards the bottom left of your phone) hit "more" then go to settings. scroll about halfway down and clear your browsers cache and whatnot there as well. droid x doesnt really have any dedicated ram so as your phone fills up with random info the phone will lose that much more memory to run the phones Operating system your phone will start with a pause when you tap something on the screen. then over time when someone calls you you might not be able to answer right away. eventually the phone will begin to freeze completely and youll have to battery pull. then it will run fine until you try to do something. you must clear the solid state hard drive of the phone to make room for more junk. (for example of what causes the issue: every site you go to on your phone your phone will save the pics off the website so if you go back to that website it will load faster next time since it doesnt have to re download the pics for example)  you cannot view these pics that it saves. theyre in the internal memory and it will not save them on the sd card. so every day you use the phone it will run just a little bit slower. the iphone has the same issue. Not that big of a deal just takes a little while for it happen. newer droids have fixed this issue with larger internal hard drives( not just a bigger  sd card) and dedicated ram to running the phone. overall not that big of an issue. with a little maintanence droid x is one of the most reliable phones on the market. gratz. i get almost no complaints about it after a few little "tweaks"

0 Likes
terieee

Awesome help kpanchot!

0 Likes