Re: Any recent android phones smaller than 5 inches for Verizon?
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

These phones don't sell well for the VZW network. Verizon isn't going to tie up capital in devices that don't sell.

0 Likes
AutumnRed13
Enthusiast - Level 1

sprmankalel wrote:

Android users tend to be "techies" and early adopters as far as the technology goes. They don't want smaller phones and so manufacturers aren't making them. They make the phones people want.

I disagree with this statement.  I am a "Techie" and absolutely HATE the large screened phones. It is ridiculous to carry around a "phone" larger than 5"  and I would entirely prefer smaller.   If I need to look at a something on bigger screen, I have a tablet, laptop and a desktop. 

DAVMAN41
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have to agree with this whole thread. I am currently running a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, and would love to upgrade. Unfortunately, I have no interest in an iPhone or a Phablet, so I am [Removed]. I really do not care about the price, I just want a good android phone that is small in size. If the Samsung A3 was available, I would get it in a minute. The suggestions from customer support earlier in the thread were terrible... too large at 5 inches, and in both cases, low end phones. Verizon really needs to provide some better options!

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

martianspy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a long time android user (since original droid) and would love to see a smaller android phone offered by Verizon such as the Sony Xperia Compact. I miss the ability to put my phone in a shirt pocket or jacket breast pocket. I'm not sure why the phablet craze has taken such hold. I watched videos just fine on my old HTC thunderbolt. Please give us at least one choice for android.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I still contend the smaller Pixel phone isn't much bigger than the Moto X 1st generation. Sure it is taller, but the change in width is negligible. Yes the screen itself is larger, but the physical size of the phones are comparable and comfortable to use.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

DAVMAN41​ and martianspy

The reason the devices you are asking for are not available from Verizon is because they don't feel like it makes good financial sense to buy them to sell in their stores. It is a calculated risk as to which no popular smartphones should be sold. None of the Sony devices have ever sold well and when most people think Samsung they think Galaxy series like the Note and S devices. If the put money into stocking these devices and they don't sell then they have to discount them and take losses to get rid of them.

0 Likes
jnorden
Enthusiast - Level 1

Me too.  I didn't really want a "smart" phone at all, but texting became inevitable and T9 is ridiculous.  When my "slider"  died last year,  I got a Samsung S4-mini (like DAVMAN41).  I like its hardware, but it is stuck in android4.4/kitkat which is gets more annoying every day as more things want 5.1+ to work properly

The galaxy J3 varieties seem to be about the smallest decent current phone. It has a 5" screen, is a about 5.6" tall, and cost under $100.  A friend of mine recently got one.  He likes it but does wish it was smaller.  Current sub 5" options (e.g. galaxy core varieties) seem to be crippled in some way or another (e.g. 400x800 screen resolution).

Samsung also made an S5-mini with a 4.7" screen and overall height of 5.2", which is a lot closer in size to my s4-mini.  The specs look really good on paper.  It is waterproof but also has a removable battery, which is rare.  They are reasonably priced on ebay right now.

Unfortunately, the s5-mini  was never offered directly by verizon.  The only cdma version was sold by us-cellular.  I'm wondering if it is possible to port a us-cellular s5-mini to verizon.  The us-cellular website lists the phone as unlock-able.  The question would be whether or not verizon would accept an unlocked us-cellular phone as a bring-your-own device.  Anyone have any guess as to the chance of success with that?

How would android updates work for such a phone?

-Jeff

jnorden
Enthusiast - Level 1

Minor correction: the s5-mini screen is 4.5", not 4.7"

I also just discovered that the us-cellular s5-mini is stuck at Lollipop (android version).  This is most likely for good, since their full-size s5 has been upgraded to Marshmallow.  So, this phone might become just as frustrating as my s4-mini in just a year or so.  Sigh...

0 Likes
krsram
Enthusiast - Level 1

I get what you are saying, whew, interesting someone else brought this up. I am thinking to switch from Verizon after several years since no Android phones are less than 5". I had the mini Droid and loved it, have gone through 2 of them. Now all the androids at Verizon are so large its like stepping back 15 years. I want to make phone calls, GPS, music, text and Sony has phones that are smaller, but Verizon doesn't seem to sell or support them. It's like a plot of some kind to have everyone with androids to carry around a tablet size phone.

krsram
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yep, I hate the large phones too. I want a phone not another tablet size device. I like something that will fit in my pocket. Oh, and I too am a Techie. A techie who wants a small phone. When traveling overseas I saw people with phones that will fit in palm of hand. Bring back a mini-droid Verizon.