Any recent android phones smaller than 5 inches for Verizon?
castlemj84
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone (Moto X 1st Gen) is showing its age and needs to be replaced. I'm looking to buy a small (preferably 4.5'' or 4.7'') android phone. There are many GSM options, but I can't find a single CDMA phone released in the past 2-3 years that will work with Verizon.

I use my phone for 4 things:

- Calls

- Texting

- GPS

- Music

I don't want to carry around a giant 5.5'' screen just for the above. I also don't want to pay for an iPhone, for obvious reasons.

Why is there not at least one modern phone below 5'' that will work for Verizon? Is anyone aware of any small phones that I may have missed, or any that will be released soon? If not I'll have to switch to a GSM carrier just to have a small phone, which is ridiculous.

Labels (1)
Re: Any recent android phones smaller than 5 inches for Verizon?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I loved the size of my Moto X 1st gen.  It was the perfect size.  I eventually got a Moto X 2nd gen and got comfortable using with its larger size.  Most recently I got a Pixel phone which was the smaller version at 5" screen.  When comparing the phones between the three phones, the Pixel is about the same width as the Moto X 1st gen maybe just slightly larger.  The height was closer to the Moto X 2nd gen for the Pixel phone.  So you might want to consider looking at the smaller Pixel phone for your replacement device.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

castlemj84
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the comment, but in addition to being a little large for my tastes, the Pixel is out of my price range. If I wanted to pay for a high-end phone I'd probably go for the iPhone 7 (even though I prefer android), because the form factor is perfect--very small and thin.

There are a number of new and affordable 4.5'' GSM phones, like the Samsung Galaxy A3. I'd love to find something similar that works on Verizon, but I'm not having any luck.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The iPhone 7 is basically the same price as the Pixel.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to always find a device for you, castlemj84. There are not many devices with a smaller screen. We do have a few that might work for you. The HTC Desire 530 and the Samsung Galaxy J3 Eclipse both come with a smaller 5-inch screen. Follow these links to see the devices mentioned, https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/htc-desire-530/ and https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-j3-eclipse/. Let us know if these work for you.

JavierMD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!  

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Both are low end phones and not necessarily worth considering.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you looked at the Moto G model 4th or 5th generation? They are unlocked and work on the Verizon Wireless network.

0 Likes
castlemj84
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you both for the suggestions.

However, like I said, I'm looking for compact phones with a 4.7'' or 4.5'' screen. Preferably 4.5''. All of the phones that have been suggested have a 5'' screen.

Low-end is OK--all I need it to do is run Google Maps, play music, and work as a phone.

I suspect the answer to my question is that there are no compact android phones available for Verizon, but I'd like to make sure before I give up looking.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Android users tend to be "techies" and early adopters as far as the technology goes. They don't want smaller phones and so manufacturers aren't making them. They make the phones people want.

0 Likes
castlemj84
Enthusiast - Level 2

There are a large number of compact GSM phones available, such as the Sony Xperia X Compact and the Samsung Galaxy A3. Also budget phones like the Kata V4 and ZTE Maven. So the issue isn't that android manufacturers aren't making compact phones, it's that they're apparently not making compact CDMA phones for Verizon.