Re: Any other users have terrible battery life since the 4.4.2 update?
droidrazrmaxxhd
Contributor - Level 1

KitKat giving you battery drain problems? Try uninstalling Skype, says Google as it prepares a fix

Summary: Google is preparing a fix for a battery depleting bug in the camera software on Android 4.4.2 devices, and in the mean time one way to stop the issue is to uninstall Skype.

If you've noticed that your smartphone has been suffering battery woes since upgrading to KitKat, you're not alone.

A bug in a background program that controls KitKat devices' cameras, known as 'mm-qcamera-daemon', looks to be behind a spate of Android 4.4.2-powered hardware rapidly losing power or overheating.

Over the past week, hundreds of Nexus 5 and other Android device owners have reported on the Android Open Source Project's Issue Tracker that the software recently started consuming as much as half of a device's battery, and in some cases also causing overheating.

Google has, in the past 48 hours, confirmed that it had identified the relevant bugs behind the problem and will issue a fix for them in a maintenance update for its own Nexus line of devices. However, it hasn't said when that will be released, and also advised owners of non-Nexus Android devices affected by the bug to contact their hardware manufacturer for a fix.

"High power drain on non-Nexus devices is not something we can help with. If you have a Note, or any other non-Nexus device, you'll have to reach out to your manufacturer," a Google AOSP project member wrote.

Some Samsung Galaxy Note 3 owners running Android 4.3 also complained of similar battery draining issues caused by the daemon. 

http://www.zdnet.com/kitkat-giving-you-battery-drain-problems-try-uninstalling-skype-says-google-as-...

gbweller2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll be darned! I did have Skype installed but just uninstalled it. My battery was depleting at a rate of about 15% per hour and I did notice that the Note was getting hot. In fact, since I unplugged it 20 minutes ago it dropped to 94% without any use. Well...we'll see how this goes. Thanks for the info!!

0 Likes
powell7777
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't have skype on my phone. Took it off a long time ago because I use the google hangout....and my phone is still not running properly.

My alarm on my phone no longer works, I set it and nothing happens! This was a surprise to me when I had woke up late for work and had to rush to get there on time!

I did a factory rest and it did NOT make a difference, it's still draining the battery and I know for a fact it's because of the 'upgrade'.

I looks like it's going to send out put never does. I am not receiving text messages correctly also! I have to restart myp phone to receive them!

I've been having problems with my phone for over a week now since this upgrade. I read online that the KitKat software has a ton of bugs in it and people have had nothing but problems with their phones since the update.

I'm to the point that I want a new phone! This is ridiculous!

powell7777
Enthusiast - Level 2

so why did they push out another upgrade to Verizon if they know that there were issues in MARCH?

0 Likes
powell7777
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did a factory reset and didn't put any of my apps on that I had on before....and still no improvement.

0 Likes
droidrazrmaxxhd
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah I didnt buy the whole uninstall skype thing either, but there IS official recognition that 4.4.2 has a battery drain issue.. as much as Verizon retards on here won't admit to without their "safe mode/re-seat SIM/wipe cache partition/hard reset" nonsense they keep pasting in here like automatons...

0 Likes
Boricuaff

So far nothing has worked.  When I press and hold vol up, down and power buttons.  U get a totally different screen. 

How long does it take to "optimize" ?  Its been almost 6 weeks since update and haven't added any new apps.  In fact I've deleted apps.  I unplugged my phone this am at 0615.  1030 now and I'm at 55%

0 Likes
droidrazrmaxxhd
Contributor - Level 1

Don't bother with the cache partition wipe nonsense, it won't help your issue. Nothing proposed in here so far will, it's the software update. And it's not going to get better over time or magically optimize still. Unless you actually acknowledge there is problem, actually troubleshoot it, and propose real solutions, nothing will be fixed. *ahem, Verizon, ahem*

0 Likes
gbweller2
Enthusiast - Level 2

In my case it seems that Skype was the culprit. Battery life seems to be back to normal since uninstalling Skype this morning. Thank you droidrazrmaxxhd!

Doesn't Microsoft own Skype? (Would I be the first to insinuate a conspiracy?)

0 Likes
jdimichele

I don't have Skype istalled on my phone.  My battery life is terrible, and the phone over heats whenever it's used.

0 Likes