Re: Android Update makes things worse AGAIN??!!
Not applicable

Glad to help. Smiley Happy

stef7
Master - Level 2

You can try doing a low-level cache clear by booting into recovery, but likely that isn't going to help. Try it.

If that doesn't work, you should backup all your important stuff, and then perform an FDR.

Painful as that might seem to you, there's really no other option.

If you go to a BB to get a reflash, you are essentially doing an FDR.

Interestingly, FDRs are not helping everyone. I doubt this is because of a bad OTA download. Likely it's because of variations in how much stuff people have on their phones, and what they have on it prior to doing the update.

Many many people familiar with Android who have been through updates on various makes and models expect, and even plan for an FDR with an update. Some even adhere to performing an FDR BEFORE they take the OTA and install it.

That is not unwise. Sure, it's inconvenient, but once you've gone through the process a few times, it gets easier and there are benefits, like winnowing down the apps you are using to just those you rely on.

Always, always back up your personal content.

This is a consequence of the design and implementation of the Android OS and the other layers. Why an FDR wouldn't help someone is a really challenging concept to grasp but it's likely something unplanned in the update process occurs because of the state of the device before the update starts....

If I did a FDR and it didn't help, my next step would be to perform another one! And if that didn't work, I would proceed to contact VZW or Samsung for a replacement. I suppose a reflash at BB would be worth a try. Honestly, if the FDR doesn't take, there's some really funky issue going on.

So ultimately, it might be a refurb, but what else are you going to do?

iphone_lover
Enthusiast - Level 2

With all do respect buy a quality iPhone next time. IOS has problems ocassionally but is fixed very quickly. There is something to be said of a phone manufacturer controlling both the hardware and software. I have thought about buying an Android phone in the past but too many worries about phone manufacturers not working with Android thus creating crapware. Don't have to worrry about bloatware either! Apple would never allow a mobile cell company to put bloatware on the iPhone. Navigator anyone? Smiley Happy

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

an iphone is a good phone - but iOS isn't without issues... however, for most people that just want a device that "works", it's an excellent "appliance" phone.

i drive an accord. similarly, I consider it an "appliance" automobile.

if you want to experience more functionality, more flexibility, then one goes android. with it comes more work. it's not for everyone that's for sure.

iphone_lover
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree with most of your comments. What the Apple via the iPhone brings to the table is IOS updates which will work and fit like a glove. Often when Android comes up with a new update a phone manufacturer doesn't allow updates right away, sometimes not for months or not at all. Then all of a sudden the phone or Apps that run on it start crashing.

Carpeviam

I also have an S4 that is randomly rebooting.  In addition the touch screen randomly doesn't work after being unlocked.  Locking and unlocking it again seems to work, but that is annoying.

I have booted into safe mode to see if I notice any reboots, but I don't see most of the ones that show up on the boot logger app (installed after I started having issues).  As far as I know, my wife's S4 isn't having any of the same issues; not that she has noticed anyway.

0 Likes
jrichview2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry for the slow reply. I assumed I'd get an email when someone responded.

I haven't seen a particular pattern, but it happens regularly. I will try safe mode this evening and reply again when I have.

0 Likes
weather99
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just wanted to post that I resolved the issue.

I found and article from 2013 which gave the 3 most common reasons the S4 exhibits this behavior. The top reason, the battery.

The article offered a unique way to test the battery. Place the battery on a flat surface and spin it. If it is hard to spin the side is flat. If it spins well there is a slight bulge in the side.

When I did the test the one side did not spin well and the other side spun like a top! 

I have a second battery (deal when I bought the phone). I put it in and it and the phone has worked without a problem.

I surmise the OTA update either reset or up dated a battery library which caused a marginal battery to now fail.

It is too bad sw just crashes and does not throw an exception or log the issue. It would have saved frustration and time consuming debugging.

I hope this helps others.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks, jrichview2! Please do keep us posted.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jrichview2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, safe mode was not very helpful as I was unable to run Chrome (something I do regularly), facebook,etc. It's pretty limited.  Given that reboots are random it's pretty hard to say anything from running in safe mode.

I did check my battery and it is fine. not warped.

Guess I will look at recovery mode.

0 Likes