Re: ASUS ZenFone V - Mobile Network Drops Off
mkolber
Enthusiast - Level 3

I will add to the discussion. I have a ZenFone and it is doing the same thing. There was an update just a day or two ago and I had hoped it was Asus fixing the issue. Apparently not.

As others indicate, the phone loses network connectivity. In my case it is about ever two days. I started keeping a log this week. The connectivity bars grey out and an "x" appears over them. Only two things fix it: a reboot or a network reset (the latter dumps all your network connections including WiFi and paired Bluetooth devices).

As others report, if there is any consistency, it is when the phone is trying to switch between WiFi and data. It happens when I leave my home and also when I leave a place of business where I have connected to their WiFi. It is definitely not whether there is a 4G signal available or not. And, while i live in a sparse coverage area, that's not it either - it happens in areas where, once I reboot, I have a very strong signal.  If I had to guess, it's a bug in the automatic switching.

The effect, though, is not simply phone and mobile data. Although a WiFi signal may appear, WiFi calling is also disabled. I have also seen paired and saved Bluetooth deices disappear.

Kind of surprised the "best mobile network" is hawking an "exclusive" phone with this kind of problem.

Screenshot_20180514-134755.jpg

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Making sure your device always stays connected to our network is a must, mkolber. Did this issue always occur since you received this phone? What is your zip code?  

JoeyM_VZW            

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
mkolber
Enthusiast - Level 3

It only occurred since the day after I purchased the phone.

I'm not sure what the zipcode tells you. It's happened in different zipcodes in two different states.

29928, 27312, 29456, 27517

0 Likes
mkolber
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verrry interesting. No further response from Verizon reps. Six pages on this thread. Another thread on the same issue. Two star reviews for the phone, most of the negative comments describing the exact same issue.

And we get responses here from the company which used to have the best customer service, essentially responding with, "Gee, that's terrible.We never heard of this before. It must be a problem with your zip code!"

I'm a 17-year Verizon customer. The reason - good network, great customer service. With this phone - a  phone created especially for and sold only by Verizon, I seem to be getting neither.

My, how times have changed!

0 Likes
DLEASSM
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did the reset, and the problem continues.  It just happened, and I did not actually lose signal, it just disconnected from the network even though it showed bars.

Verizon, you need to fix this.  It is either a hardware issue or a software issue.  Only you can figure it out. It is clearly not just my phone, or just my zip code, it is across the board.

Verizon claims to be the best, and that all phones are tested extensively before they are sold, but this is obviously not the case.

I was hoping the software upgrade the other day would fix it, but it did not.

Where is customer service?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MKOLBER, we're here to support you and find the best resolution for your issue. I thank you for being with us for over 17-years. I want to make sure you've got the best connection possible and avoid losing your network connections. I saw you mentioned performing a software update. I want to make sure you're using Software Version: V3.4.2, as ASUS did add in updates to deal with issues, the V was having with staying connected. In case you need it for reference, here's how to check on the current software: http://spr.ly/6584DgAQQ

I'd also like you to try removing your SIM Card. You want to make sure the phone is powered down first before doing anything with the SIM. The steps to remove an insert can be found below.

Remove SIM: http://spr.ly/6586DgAQa

Install SIM: http://spr.ly/6589DgAQL

Thanks in advance for double checking the software. Please test your device after removing the SIM and putting it back in as well. Let us know what you find, and if needed we'll continue to troubleshoot with you.

JohnTr_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mkolber
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I updated to 3.4.2 as soon as I knew it was available.I had hoped the connectivity issue was one it dealt with, but the problem persisted even after the update.

I had a chat session with ASUS support yesterday. They suggested a factory reset which I have been trying to avoid, but I know from experience that sometimes system updates don't "take" without one, so I gave it a shot. At your suggestion, I also removed and reinserted the SIM.

It's too early to tell. My average without loss of connectivity is two days. So I am going to wait out the week. I will let you know if it recurs (of course!), but will also report back if it doesn't so others can benefit.

BTW, an unrelated question regarding the update. After the update, I got a pop-up message when I accessed the stock email client that it was going away. Is that another upcoming update?

0 Likes
alans_vzw
Verizon Employee

DLEASSM, I apologize for the delay and want to ensure we seek the proper resolution going forward here. I can already see you've been through a lot and want you to have a working phone at all times that isn't going to continuously give you these lose of service issues. I have sent you a Direct Message so we can address this problem directly and make things right. Thank you. 

AlanS_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mkolber, I appreciate the details and checking back in with us. Please let us know how things go after testing your connection for the next week as I want to ensure you have a working reliable phone.

We are not currently aware that the stock email application is going away as that's a vital function of the phone. Since ASUS manufactures the phone, they may have a better answer to this question. If it does go away for whatever reason, it would more than likely be updated with another native email application for future use of email on the phone. Since we do not develop the email application or software updates, we wouldn't have any control over this. Should you have any other questions or concerns over the email pop-up, you can contact ASUS Support at 888-678-3688. I hope this information helps clear up the details.

AlanS_VZW

0 Likes
mkolber
Enthusiast - Level 3

No go. It is a new record, though. It crapped out after a whole four days!

Please excuse my tone, but it is borne out of deep cynicism about a company which was once emulated by others for the quality of its customer service. When I first reported this to Verizon (and to ASUS) in a chat session, it was treated as a big surprise. In fact, reading through it, the entire thrust of Verizon Support's answer in this thread and the other is that it doesn't exist. That's obvious with the questions about zip codes. You are trying to find a reason (excuse) to say it's based on bad signals. Of course, I and others have had it drop out in areas known good signals and if not, it does not reconnect (without a reboot) when going into a good signal area or even passing directly next to a tower! (This time, instead of rebooting, I left it alone to see if it would reconnect when I got to a tower. I'll leave yo to guess the answer.)

Then, of course, there's the "fix" the last update was supposed to have. Never mind it doesn't work. How the heck do you and ASUS fix a problem you both claim doesn't even exist?

As I said before, it's a shame the phone company which used to have the best customer service has gone downhill so much.

0 Likes