4G and my Eris
DJMARION

I've heard Verizon is upgrading to a 4G network later in the year...will my Eris go along for the ride or will it be stuck in 3G?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G and my Eris
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

DJMARION wrote:

I've heard Verizon is upgrading to a 4G network later in the year...will my Eris go along for the ride or will it be stuck in 3G?

Verizon Wireless has officially completed the technical trials of its new 4G LTE network, and is now moving on to “friendly user trials” in five cities.Read more here

If 4G happens to come to your area when it arrives completely/fully,then you would get 4G on your phone.

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
You will need a phone that supports 4G, I haven't read anywhere that states the Eris supports 4G. I believe the answer will be no when it comes to your area. You will need a different phone.
0 Likes
Butthead
Contributor - Level 2

Mr Host is correct. You need a phone with an LTE radio in it to connect to 4G. The Eris is a 3G phone. The Great One clearly does not have a clue as to what he is talking about.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

There is no need to worry.  It is going to take a while for LTE to be available for phone use.  When it has been available for phones for a few months then we will start seeing phones rollout.  Everything is tested tested and re-tested on verizon so the network when up will be tested then devices tested then LTE modems will roll out.  As the network expands then the network will continue to be tested then LTE smartphones will roll out by the end of 2013 LTE will be covering the same area as Verizon's 3 G network. 

Rollout schedule Verizon has given is towers will start coming on line to 25-30 towers by the end of this year.  By 2012 it will be more than doubled and complete transfer by the end of 2013.  The first devices will be modems later smart phones then feature phones and other devices.  By mid 2011 you may see limited rollouts of LTE capable smartphones that will only be LTE capable in major cities.  Much like the first 3G devices I expect those to be iffy at best.  I would think 2012 and 2013 will be when Verizon will be back in that hey everyone else has better phones than we do delima. 

LTE is not only a different signal it is a whole other technology.  None of the current phones will be able to run LTE. 

0 Likes