Re: Yahoo Email On Droid
GrillMouster

Here's the deal. Yahoo fears that Google's integration with the latest Android phones is cutting into Yahoo's market share. Therefore, Yahoo is trying to make things difficult for new Android phone users to access Yahoo Mail using the droid's email client. The email client bypasses ads on the Yahoo site, whcih is how Yahoo monetizes its free email. Yahoo plays nicely with iPhone and BlackBerry, and even features them on their websites, because "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". I just checked Yahoo's website where it says how to set up Yahoo Mail access on your mobile phones other than iPhone and BlackBerry.  The site says that it no longer supports mobile IMAP access.  That's why we've had inconsistent success with the manual work-around to using the Droid's email client. Yahoo wants you to pay for POP3 access. The fact that sometimes people can get through and other times they cannot makes it unclear whether it's Yahoo or Android that's to blame, but, trust me, it's Yahoo.

When I first noticed the "Wrong Yahoo Username/Password" error in the Droid email client, I just switched to using the browser to access Yahoo mobile mail. Although I couldn't get new email notifications this way, I was at least able to view my HTML email messages as web pages by clicking on a "View in Full HTML" link that Yahoo put at the top of each email. Some weeks ago Yahoo stopped putting that link there, so now I can only view email as text. That sucks, because now a bunch of HTML email I used to get is cumbersome to browse in all-text, and also the email is broken down over several pages. So, now, I go to the desktop (not mobile) version of Yahoo site in my droid's browser.

I'm fed up with Yahoo because of this. I switched to Gmail years ago for 99% of my stuff and only have a couple of old retailer accounts and message boards linked to my Yahoo account. I've been too lazy to update those with my Gmail account, but I'll be doing that soon and completely abandoning Yahoo for email. I'll only use it for a couple of FlickR groups (Yahoo owns FlickR).

0 Likes
GrillMouster

Oh, and by the way, I did try what GunnyD suggested a few posts ago, and the link Yahoo sent is the same link I already had bookmarked on my droid's browser. It still doesn't allow me to view full HTML email as a web page.

0 Likes
MissyR

I managed to get Yahoo set up successfully using the IMAP to begin with, then it stopped working like everybody else's.

Here's what I did to get it to work.........In my Yahoo mail settings, I temporarily set my account to be from "Asia", which does not charge to access email from other methods.  Then I set up the account on my Droid, after it worked a few days, I changed my account back to U.S. setting.

Voila!  Hope this works for some of you.

0 Likes
dami1968

To set up Yahoo E-Mail on the Motorola Droid:

1. Make sure Wi-Fi is turned off
  2. Press the E-Mail icon (the default Android E-Mail application)
  3. Enter your Yahoo E-Mail address and password
  4. Press “Manual Setup” in the lower left hand corner
  5. For “Incoming Server Settings” set the IMAP server to “imap.mail.yahoo.com” and the Port to 143
  6. For “Outgoing Server Settings” set the SMTP Server to “smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com” and the Port to 587
  7. Check “Require sign-in” and press Next
  8. Select how often your Droid will check for Email, and choose default options
  9. Give the account a name and set your display name for outgoing messages
0 Likes
Androidatic
Enthusiast - Level 3
I've been connected to Yahoo Mail since I got my Eris, but the capabilities are limited. Even though I have had my Yahoo e-mail for 10 years now, I've decided to switch to Google. It isn't worth the hassle. Overall Google is better and I can get all of the benefits from my mail account instead of being limited with how Yahoo has neutered their mail with Android. I will monitor, but not use, my Yahoo mail for the foreseeable future. I have a vacation notice advising anyone who sends me mail, of my new Gmail account. I figure after 6-8 months, most of the important stuff will have changed over.
0 Likes
robert91203

Here is a solution:  Go to yahoo mail, go to Options (upper right corner), deactivate "Save a copy of the message in the Sent folder".  Duplicate problem solved but you will not have a saved sent mail.  You can cc to yourself and move the email to the Sent folder if you really want to save it.

0 Likes
phil1090

This problem is happening to me as well. Sometimes Yahoo IMAP works on the Droid and sometimes it doesn't.  My only half fast solution was to bookmark Y Mail in the browser. 

My biggest problem is when all my account settings get deleted out of nowhere.

Just the other day, all my e-mail account settings got deleted ... POOF ... gone. I set all my accounts back up (and had to setup the Yahoo account a few times to get it right...username/password invalid errors).

With all accounts set up, there is now a serious indexing problem of some kind. I click on one message and a completely different message opens.  The header information is from the message I clicked, but the body of the message is another message, sometimes from another account.  To make things worse, it's not repeatable.  If I go back and open the message three or four times, the right one finally opens. 

I only have a few apps on the phone. I have read other messages where people are uninstalling the same apps I have and the deleted settings problem still occurs. 

I really loved this thing until this problem.  And to think, I bought out of my old provider's contract to get into a Droid. Very frustrating.

0 Likes
JPWhite

I have tried several options to make Yahoo email work well on my Droid.

The best configuration for me can be found on my blog at

http://jpwhitehome.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/resolving-outgoing-email-problems-with-yahoo-email-plus-...

0 Likes
bumble

I just figured out for mine. I have att but the server is yahoo.

go to email on droid

add account

enter email and password

manual set up

pop3 account

when you enter your username you must include the entire email address not just the beginning (i.e. @.........net/com etc.)

incoming pop3 server (if you have att) is : pop.att.yahoo.com (or you can find what your settings must be in your yahoo email server settings in your mail options account)

IF you go to your email account (yahoo, att etc.) and click on mail options and find the page for email server settings) should be under Article/FAQ # kb401570

it will list all the information you need to enter into your droid when doing setup.

you will have to manually add in incoming server, outgoing server, full email address, incoming port # and outgoing port#

0 Likes
jeffpack1957

I too had the same problem, and just switched to the K9 E-mail client, and yahoo works fine.

0 Likes