Re: WARNING!!!! EMAIL ATTACHMENTS: DROID CAN NOT SAVE OR FORWARD
MadBrotherMan
I did exactly as you suggested and it was the solution I was looking for. Thank you so much for your help.
0 Likes
starfloater

After you uncheck 'Accept all SSL Certificates' you can check 'Use secure connection' again just in case you want to keep the email connection secured. Just make sure 'Acept all SSL certificates' is unchecked and you will be able to open the attachments.

0 Likes
msummitt2

PARTIAL SOLUTION
Again, when emailing attachments to myself I do the following.  You can also ask others to do this when they send you attachments.  Obviously it's kind of a PITA, but it works until Moto or Google come out with a fix:

Easy work-around:  Rename the file you want to send, or ask the sender to rename it, giving it a .jpg extension.  When you receive it on your droid, you will be able to save it (droid saves jpeg's).  Then rename it back to the original extension and voila!  You'll need a file manager app (I use AndroZip) to find, rename and open files.

0 Likes
joewinograd

As GregoryK mentioned earlier, the answer is to stop using the built-in email app and start using K9. Not being able to view attachments in a non-Gmail account was a show-stopper/deal-killer for me. The Droid was going back! Fortunately, K9 solves the problem. K9 is an experimental fork of the core Android POP/IMAP email client (free download available in the Android Market -- shows up as the only app when you search for K9). I just installed it and set it up with two private domain (non-Gmail) email accounts -- works great! On each attachment, there's an Open button and a Save button. The Open button launches whatever viewer you have, such as the built-in Quickoffice or the far superior DocumentsToGo. The Save button puts it on the SD card. It doesn't give you a choice of folder (it puts the file in the root of the SD card), but I can live with that. You can then pull it up from the SD card with a file manager (like Astro) and load it with Quickoffice, DocsToGo, etc. -- very nice! Regards, Joe

0 Likes
starfloater

Okay, I just want to clarify because people are stating wrong information. I am going to be using caps for this, just warning you.

YOU CAN VIEW ATTACHMENTS USING THE DROID!!!!!

There is a difference between being able to VIEW attachments and being able to SAVE attachments. I am tired of users putting on this thread that, "oh they were going to return their droid because they could not view attachments!"

Well, there is no issue with the droid viewing attachments at all! You do not have to download anything special. Obviously one of your settings for the work email or non-gmail account is incorrect. All you have to do is change the one little setting in your email settings to correct it and you will be able to VIEW your attachments without using any additional tools.

0 Likes
joewinograd

starfloater,
As far as I can tell, you are wrong. With the built-in email app (not Gmail), I am unable to view attachments. There is no "obviously" incorrect setting in the non-Gmail accounts (two accounts in two different private domains). If you can let me know what "the one little setting" is, I'm all ears, but I checked every available setting and they are all correct. In fact, with the same exact settings, K9 allows me to open the attachments (and provides the additional benefit of saving the attachments to the SD card). I'll say it again: With the same exact non-Gmail account settings, the built-in email app cannot open/view attachments (it says error fetching) and K9 opens them fine (and allows saving to the SD card). Regards, Joe

0 Likes
DR01D-NX-74R

Yes, using K9 is the answer for attachments.  And if you need to open a wav file from a work voicemail, check out iphoneconvert.com

I'm hoping a software update will resolve these problems with the native app.

0 Likes
starfloater

I do not belive downloading another application to view email attachments is the correct answer since we all had to pay money for the phone in the first place. To me the solution should be one where I  do not have to download any paid or free application.

In my previous post I did not mention I already put the solution to the "viewing the email in Droid" already on this forum because I didn't realize people would not read the other replies.

I am not the only one that tried the solution and it worked. If you really need me to repost the solution here is it.

Go to your email account settings then click on " incoming settings" and un-check "use secure connection (SSL)" this automatically un-checks "accept all SSL certificates". Then you will be able to open the attachments using your work email. YO7u can recheck "use secure connection (SSL)" if you like just make sure "accept all SSL cerificates" is unchecked.

Please note again you can view attachments using the DROID phone non-gmail email accounts without having to download any paid or free applications. This solution is not about saving attachments it's just about viewing the email attachments. I got this solution from the motorola forums.

If this solution does not work for you then I do not understand why since it worked for a ton of other DROID phone users, including myself.

0 Likes
joewinograd

> I do not belive downloading another application to view email attachments is the correct answer since we all had to pay money for the phone in the first place. To me the solution should be one where I do not have to download any paid or free application.

Yes, that's lovely in principle, but I'm more pragmatic than that and simply need things to work. I've never objected to workarounds in this complex world of modern technology. It took a few minutes to download K9 and configure it for my two non-Gmail email accounts (and it has the side benefit of being free). You may object in principle to this -- I'm fine with it. There are many other shortcomings to the core Droid functionality that I'm happy to overcome with apps. Should voice dial over Bluetooth be supported out-of-the box? Of course, but it isn't. Should tethering be supported out-of-the box? Of course, but it isn't. The list goes on. Apple could have its own iDon't ad for the Droid, but if I can find third-party apps to overcome the Droid's iDon't features, that's fine by me in order to be able to take advantage of the great features that it does have.

> If this solution does not work for you then I do not understand why since it worked for a ton of other DROID phone users, including myself.

Here's why. In any "solution," it's very common for it to work for some people and not others. Even with "problems," some users experience them, others do not. There are many reasons for different folks getting different results when using the seemingly same hardware and software. Some of the reasons are different environments, configurations, domains, etc. For example, some private domain emails require a logon using SPA, others do not; some use SSL encryption, some use TLS, others use none. I'm on another forum where we're talking about a problem in a software package that some users are experiencing, and we put up a poll: of those members who voted, 53% are experiencing the problem, 47% are not. I've had the problem hit me and I posted the fix that worked for me. Other group members tried my fix -- worked for some, not others. Back to the Droid, which is a complex device with many components -- hardware, built-in software, third-party software, the 3G network, Wi-Fi, email domains, etc. I hope this helps you to understand why some solutions will work for some Droid users and not others. Regards, Joe

0 Likes
DR01D-NX-74R

Well, there seems to be a couple of issues being discussed in this thread.  The K9 solution is for saving and forwarding attachments, which is the problem the original poster was having.  Opening attachments is a separate issue, which I also have no problems downloading an app as a work around.  So just update anyone who is having problems opening voice mail wav files from work (GSM6.1 format, etc) there is an app on the market called Remote Wave.  It will work with both K9 and the Gmail app.  But it will not work with the other built in email app on the Droid.

So get K9 and get Remote Wave and many of the problems with the other built in email app will be resolved.  I especially like the "empty trash" feature.  I can't imagine why that was missed on the non gmail email app.

0 Likes