Some versions of Market apps not available on Eris
TKinVA

Here's one example. I want to buy the Pro version of Photo BURST.

When I search in the Market, only the free version shows up.

When I search on my wife's Motorola Droid, the same search turns up both the free version and the pro (paid) version.

I have noticed this with a number of other apps as well. The paid versions show up on the Droid, but not the Eris.

Searching in the Market for the word "pro" yields 461 items on the Droid, 191 on the Eris.

Is there some way to get past this restriction on the Eris?

0 Likes
Re: Some versions of Market apps not available on Eris
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

there really are no restrictions for these apps unless you factor in that the Droid is an Android 2.0.  You will probably have to wait until the Eris is upgraded from its 1.5 to 2.0 which i dont know when that will happen.

0 Likes
TKinVA

I don't agree.

As far as I know, the Droid is the only phone running 2.0 and it has only been out for a week. Unlikely that all of these apps are 2.0 only. If they were, it would be stated in the app description.

For instance: Photo BURST can be downloaded and will run on the Eris. The Pro version is only the license file that enables the advanced features.But the Eris can't get this file.

It's something else.

One clue is the different appearance of the Market app between the Droid and the Eris (We have both.)

Note: The Eclair SDK has only been available since October 26.

0 Likes
jzanick

This is true. I switch from HTC Hero to HTC Eris and I encountered the same problem. All the applications are available on G1 and HTC Hero and Motorola Droid but not HTC ERIS. 

Verizon needs to do something about this.

1) Power Manager Pro (The Best app for HTC Eris and HTC Hero pathetic battery life)

2) PicSay Pro (Best photo editing app)

3) Compare Everywhere (Shop Savvy is better.. but still)

4) Photosafe (If you need to protect your photos)

5) Sherpa (One of the most talked-about Android offerings since it debuted on the U.S. market early this year.)

6) Ebuddy (Best app for IM. HTC Hero comes with its own IM app but not HTC Eris)

7) Twidroid PRO

😎 QR Codes

0 Likes
TKinVA

This is now a known problem with the Eris. There are messages on the Google Market support forums complaining about this specific problem. Developers are also posting complaints about this. They are losing income.

Symptom: Eris owners can get the free version of many apps through the Market app, but not the paid version. They don't show up.

In some ways, this is a worse problem than the lack of Bluetooth voice dialing, as this affects every Eris owner.

One possibility is that the Eris is sending the wrong country location to the Market, or no country location at all.

See this: http://market.android.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=143779

I hope they fix this in the December OTA.

Is there a way to purchase apps outside the phone's Market app?

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

You can install applications directly, but we'd need to het the "APK" file for those programs. You can installed programs manually via HTC Sync or copying them to the SD Card and using something like AppsInstaller from the market.

Again, we'd need the APK file first.

0 Likes
jzanick

You can download some of the apps from Getjar if you really need it. But I am disappointed that the HTC ERIS is bugged by this problem

0 Likes