How to Increase Battery Life
cynicalsoul000

I have read a few suggestions on how to increase battery life in HTC Droid Incredible, but I am wondering if anyone has posted exact, step by step  instructions on how to do it.  I have gotten the app TasKiller, but I am not entierly sure how to use it.  Also, I don't know what apps I can safely turn off, and what apps need to be ignored.  The alarm no longer works, and my background keeps changing, and I think this is because i have turned off the app that controls these.  I am really not that tech savvy.

I know to keep the blue tooth an Wi-Fi off, and believe I have found where to do that.  Is there anything else that I can safely turn off?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to Increase Battery Life
M3lton
Contributor - Level 1

Here are  my tips to you.

1. Buy a Seidio 1750 mAH extended life battery. No extra bulk, just extra life.

2. Download TasKiller, not Advanced Task Killer. TasKiller allows you an option called, Auto Kill When Screen Off.

This will make it so when you lock your screen it kills all unecessarily running apps. And you can add your important apps like, Live Wallpapers, Clock, etc... to an ignore list (just touch and hold an app in the running apps screen in TasKiller)

These couple options, on top of dimming my screen and turning off auto-sync for my e-mail have made my battery last all day with intense use.

Some people are against Task Killers, and I don't know why. I have never had a problem with them and they have never caused me problems, just extended battery life.

I hope these tips help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

I know off hand I read somewhere that you can enable airplane mode to make your battery last. That'll actually turn off all wireless connections & i think even calls. I have used it before & it does save up battery life. Another tip is to get a pouch/case for the device. Having it near your body (like in your pocket) might just increase the battery life to drain. It has something to do with your body temp. I have also ready that it's going to charge the phone while it is off and to let it drain completely before charging it up.

I grabbed this from a yahoo article.....

Dim It

The brighter your screen, the more juice you're using. If you're in a dimly lit room, turn down your screen's brightness.If you use your smartphone  to play music, lower the volume.

Stop Searching

It is great that you can use Bluetooth technology to connect your smartphone to a headset, or use Wi–Fi to speed up the downloading of e–mail messages. But when you're not using that headset or not near a Wi–Fi hot spot, turn off those features on the phone.

Skip a Generation

Your smartphone is also continually looking for a cellphone signal. If you're in a weak signal area, your phone must work even harder to find one, decreasing battery life. If you know that there is no coverage in your area, turn off your portable device's mobile capabilities

Check Mail Manually

Mobile smartphones can check for e–mail messages and instant messages automatically. Or they can be set to "push" notifications as soon as they arrive in your server's mailbox.

Both strategies can be power hogs. To increase your battery life, turn off push and increase the interval between when the phone checks for new messages. Or better, set up your phone to check for messages manually.

0 Likes
trunksy

Suggestions for 'push' instant messaging clients for AIM, Yahoo & MSN?

0 Likes
thunderbucks

I'll agree with all of the above.  The two most important things have got to be the screen brightness and your connections.  I'm aware of 3 brightness settings for my Incredible, and I always have it at the lowest tolerable setting.  If it's bright out, I have to have it jacked up.  But if I'm inside or it's remotely low-light, I'll keep it on the dimmest.

And same for the connections.  If you're not using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, there's no reason to have them on.  Same goes for your Verizon network connection.  If you're in an area with little to no coverage, and you don't absolutely need your phone, turn it off or put it on "airplane mode" which will shut down any wireless connections, also dramatically helping life.

I haven't had this phone long enough to really tell, but my old Blackberry Curve 8330 would just guzzle through battery trying to find a signal.

0 Likes
cynicalsoul000

I am thinking there might be something wrong with my phone because I have turned everything off, decreased the brightness, and still it will only last 15 hours, at most.  

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

cynicalsoul000 wrote:

I am thinking there might be something wrong with my phone because I have turned everything off, decreased the brightness, and still it will only last 15 hours, at most.  

According to phonescoop web site....battery life is supposed to be:

Talk: 5.2 hours max.   (312 minutes)
Standby: 144 hours max.   (6 days)

You may want to look for an extended battery life on the internet. I found one HERE but it is currently out of stock.

0 Likes
M3lton
Contributor - Level 1

Here are  my tips to you.

1. Buy a Seidio 1750 mAH extended life battery. No extra bulk, just extra life.

2. Download TasKiller, not Advanced Task Killer. TasKiller allows you an option called, Auto Kill When Screen Off.

This will make it so when you lock your screen it kills all unecessarily running apps. And you can add your important apps like, Live Wallpapers, Clock, etc... to an ignore list (just touch and hold an app in the running apps screen in TasKiller)

These couple options, on top of dimming my screen and turning off auto-sync for my e-mail have made my battery last all day with intense use.

Some people are against Task Killers, and I don't know why. I have never had a problem with them and they have never caused me problems, just extended battery life.

I hope these tips help.

0 Likes
cynicalsoul000

Do you know of a list of apps that should be ignored?  I have been having problems with the alarm not going off, and I think that might be because the app has been getting killed by taskiller.  

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

cynicalsoul000 wrote:

Do you know of a list of apps that should be ignored?  I have been having problems with the alarm not going off, and I think that might be because the app has been getting killed by taskiller.  

i use taskiller and it has never killed my alarm.  i use the ignore for my live wallpapers and weather widget app

0 Likes
M3lton
Contributor - Level 1

The way to ignore your alarm clock is to, open you alarm clock and set an alarm, then go to TasKiller before turning your screen off (assuming you've turned on the Auto Kill When Screen Off option) and press and hold clock till the menu pops up and click ignore. Now your alarms will never die, unless you open TasKiller and touch clock. Then it will kill it, but only if you kill it manually.

0 Likes