Firmware
swinquest
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why does my phone use Firmware version 2.1-update1?  I thought I had an Android phone (Motorola CITRUS).

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Firmware
Wildman
Legend

Lets see if I can make this simple, the Android Version is the base code number (Starting Point) and the firmware number is to identify the features and options included on that release.  All device that have 2.3.4 for example has the same OS but once they add and test options and software that is device specific they label each change with a firmware number to identify which device is supported.  Kind of concider it like Windows xp with Service Pack 1 and the Service Pack 2...  Windows XP is the base and then SP1 and SP2 has diffrent firware versions because they are modified version on the original release.

There is more to it but this is the basic concept.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Version 2.1 Update 1 simply means that there was a bugfix released between major OS upgrade and this is just a way to identify this...  (Example)  If another bugfix is released it could show same number with Update 2 but if a complete OS is released it could say 2.2 or 2.3.4 or whatever version the OS is.

Hope this helped..

0 Likes
swinquest
Enthusiast - Level 2

What is the difference between Firmware and the Android???

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Lets see if I can make this simple, the Android Version is the base code number (Starting Point) and the firmware number is to identify the features and options included on that release.  All device that have 2.3.4 for example has the same OS but once they add and test options and software that is device specific they label each change with a firmware number to identify which device is supported.  Kind of concider it like Windows xp with Service Pack 1 and the Service Pack 2...  Windows XP is the base and then SP1 and SP2 has diffrent firware versions because they are modified version on the original release.

There is more to it but this is the basic concept.

0 Likes