Fios TV remote control app. for Android phones
Art010606
Enthusiast - Level 3

Alright, this is sort of a wireless/residential question so i will post this here also. you guys came out with an app for the andoid operating system to be able to use your cell phone (the droid or eris) as a tv remote control. some might think this **bleep** but with my children hiding remotes and me always having my cell on me, it would be easy and convient in times of need when i cant find the remote.

NOW. android is an open source operating system and the app can be made to be used on other phones. my question is this, if you guys have the dvr widget available on all android devices for all providers, why do you not have this available? it can be made to work easily with other providers seieing that the app itself has nothing to do with the actual cellular provider itself but just the communication between the phone and the STB.

is there any information if this will be released for other providers and other android devices i would greatly appreciate it. if its not planned to be, do you think it would be possible to get a copy of the .apk so that i can take the base and  modify it for other users who would probably love this but may not have verizon wireless for their cell provider?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Fios TV remote control app. for Android phones
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

Art010606 wrote:

Alright, this is sort of a wireless/residential question so i will post this here also. you guys came out with an app for the andoid operating system to be able to use your cell phone (the droid or eris) as a tv remote control. some might think this **bleep** but with my children hiding remotes and me always having my cell on me, it would be easy and convient in times of need when i cant find the remote.

NOW. android is an open source operating system and the app can be made to be used on other phones. my question is this, if you guys have the dvr widget available on all android devices for all providers, why do you not have this available? it can be made to work easily with other providers seieing that the app itself has nothing to do with the actual cellular provider itself but just the communication between the phone and the STB.

is there any information if this will be released for other providers and other android devices i would greatly appreciate it. if its not planned to be, do you think it would be possible to get a copy of the .apk so that i can take the base and  modify it for other users who would probably love this but may not have verizon wireless for their cell provider?

Thanks.

i have yet to hear of something for this.  your phone has an ir port? how would it change the channels without one?  i would like something like this for my droid if it wasnt for the fact that i dont have an ir port

if you really want something like this, why not find a similar app on the market and email the developer?  see if they are willing to give it a go.

0 Likes
Re: Fios TV remote control app. for Android phones
Art010606
Enthusiast - Level 3

there isnt anything specific out there right now for a general reciever. roku has one and so do some others. you can look at in your vcast apps and it should be there. i had a friend of mine who works for verizon residential show me it last night on his droid. he doesnt have root though (idk why, ive offered for him) so i dont have access to pull it and get it myself and hes the only person i know with a droid. i think i might have a way to get it. i would search your marketplace for fios and see what you get. idk what he did bc he already had it when he came over. but we shall see. he said they didnt get any word on anything besides the droid and the imagio.

0 Likes