Google's Android operating system, native to T-Mobile's G1, myTouch, Nexus one(android 2.1), Motorola droid smartphones and even netbooks, is an impressively open and versatile platform. As with rival smartphone platforms -- Apple's iPhone OS, RIM's BlackBerry OS and Palm's new WebOS -- the out-of-the-box features offered by Android are just a starting point.
Android phones can be easily customized with new software and functionality from the built-in Android Market, which features thousands of free and commercial applications that do everything from exposing hidden system preferences to allowing you to edit documents.
How to download android applications
To download android applications into your mobile phone you just need to launch the android market in the application menu, search for “desired application”, and easily install them.
With more than 10,000 apps to choose from, the Android Market can be daunting -- though nowhere close to the dizzying 70,000 apps available from Apple's iPhone App Store. And unlike the App Store, the Android Market is difficult to search -- rather ironic, given Google's core business. So I've cut out the fat.
Here are thirty best android apps that I think should come standard on every Android phone -- and every single one of them is free or shareware.
Here is the list of 30 Best free Google Android Applications available in Android Market.
1. Hi AIM – Its an AOL Instant Messenger(AIM) client for android. Data sent through network. No SMS fee. Support for smileys and chat bubble styles.
2. Android Video Converter – can convert mainstream video even HD video(.MKV/.MOD/.M2TS/.TP) to android phone-friendly format, so you can watch various video on Google Nexus one, Motorola droid, G1, HTC hero, dream/dream/magic/droid eris for fun.[DVD to Motorola droid]
3. Android-rss – Its a fully functional Android RSS reader created as a way to learn the new Android platform SDK. This project is an ongoing effort to better understand and embrace the Android design philosophy, welcoming comments and additional contributors.
4. Twidroid – Its a one of the market leading twitter client on the android platform. today we’d like to share a sneak peak of the forthcoming twidroid pro – a new milestone release that will extend our current product line and includes features such as: multi-account support ,video posting, desktop widget, bit.ly support, follower listings, interface themes and others.
5. Loopt - It connects you to your friends and the places around you. See where your friends are and what they’re doing. Connect on the fly and instantly share photos, comments, and cool places. Turn your phone into a social compass and never be bored or lonely again!
6. FBabble – It lets you stay in touch with your friends on Facebook wherever you go! Features include real-time chat, uploading photos, changing current status and even automatic tweets to your Twitter account.
7. Opera Mini – It can browse the entire Web on your Android phone and save time and money. Opera mini is compressing pages up to 90%, making web browsing fast. Synchronize your bookmarks, history, notes and more between your computer and mobile phone, and a lot more…
8. 10001 Cocktails – Its another bartender in your pocket! Browse and search our most popular recipes on your phone by drink type or search thousands of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drink recipes on the shot-cocktail-recipe.com web site! Add fresh drink ideas and drink reviews and save your favorite drinks to your personal list.
9. ChompSMS – With a great UI, chat style SMS bubbles, touchscreen keyboards and many other great features! Also coming soon, T9 predictive touchscreen keyboard and color customizations.
10. Note Everything – A notepad application where you can create different types of notes in one app, including text-, paint-, voice-, checklist- & photo notes. Your notes can be organized in folders. You can create shortcuts on home, send notes, search, encrypt, reminders, use live folders & much more! All in the look & feel of Android UI.
11. Voice Recorder – This application is a handy voice recorder. The data are recorded to a SD card. Available the following items on the Voice Recorder – send a data as attached file via Gmail – timer & background recording – search by TITLE and DATE – register to ringtone.
12. Lyric Search – Lyric Search searches LyricWiki.org for Lyrics to virtually any song. Search by artist or song name, copy and paste lyrics into sms, email, or other applications, and save lyrics or buy the song on amazon mp3.
13. Comeks Fun Photo Blogger – IT can create and share funny cartoon-like images. Take and filter photos, add stickers and text bubbles on them. Lots of stickers and text styles to choose from. When done, share the funny image in Facebook, Tumblr, Flickr, Bebo, Twitter or Comeks.com. You can also send it as an email or MMS.
14. Pickup Lines – It can find out how to approach the other sex! With this app you can share your best pickup lines and view and rate the ones others have added. And send funny lines to your friends!
15. Save MMS – This application allows you to save pictures, audio and video from your MMS text messages directly to your memory card. Attachments are stored in the “SavedMMS” directory and are automatically accessible from the Pictures and Music apps.
16. Last.fm – Personal Radio – Your personal radio station on your phone: Choose an artist or genre and Last.fm builds the perfect playlist just for you, fresh every time, featuring your favorites and new discoveries powered by millions of Last.fm users sharing the music they love. You can skip any song and find out about concerts, too.
17. MultiReader 0.6.1 Text-to-speech app that reads your documents to you. It can speaks your document : text, PDF, Word, RTF, PPT.
Note : this application which is designed primarily for adults and upper-level students can be sold on PDA, GPS, car embedded system, electronic paper (available in a near future).
18. My Tracks Record GPS tracks. Monitor your performance. My Tracks enables you to record GPS tracks and view live statistics while hiking, biking, running or participating in other outdoor activities. Once recorded, you can share your tracks with friends, upload them to Google Spreadsheets, and visualize them on Google My Maps.
19. Ringdroid 1.1 Record and edit sounds and create ringtones directly on your Android phone. So Why pay when you can create your own ringtones for free? Ringdroid lets you edit any MP3 on your phone or record a new sound and turn it into a ringtone, alarm, or notification. The only graphical waveform editor you’ll find on a phone!
20. OI File manager – The OpenIntents file manager allows you to browse your SD card, create directories, rename, move, and delete files. It also acts as an extension to other applications to display “Open” and “Save” dialogs.
21. Thesaurus – Retrieve the synonym for every word. If available you will get antonyms, related terms, similar word and user suggestions too. Tap one of the results to start a quick new search for that term. As well it keeps a history list of your search terms.
22. WikiMobile Encyclopedia Being a walking encyclopedia is now at your fingertips. With WikiMobile, you carry 2+ million Wikipedia articles with you, including pictures. Faster and uses just a fraction of the network data vs. the Android browser. Download free for a limited time!
23. Google Sky Map Google Sky Map: A star map for Android. Google Sky Map turns your Android-powered mobile phone into a dynamic window on the night sky. When you point your phone up you will see a map of the brightest stars, constellations, and planets in that part of the sky.
24. Meebo IM – Meebo is a free IM program that supports AIM, MSN, Yahoo, MySpace IM, Google Talk, Jabber and ICQ. You can also sign in using a Meebo account and your chat history will be saved forever, and can be accessed from anywhere by logging in at www.meebo.com.
25. Ringo Lite – Ringtones Manager Ringo Lite is a fun way to set unique ringtones and SMS tones for each of your contacts. Now you can make your phone truly your own – set soppy tones for your loved-ones and party tones for your mates! Ringo Lite is a friendly place to manage all your phone’s tones quickly and easily, making ringtones fun again.
26. Mobile Banking (from Bank of America) – Check available balances, pay bills and transfer funds all on-the-go! Locate ATM and banking centers with GPS. No address input required. Download now, for one-touch access to your finances, whenever, wherever you are.
27. StarTranslate Translator and dictionary. – Voice translation – Translate text – Translate SMS – Copy/Paste to any application – History – Swap translations – Get word definition in dictionary Many languages supported including : arabic, hebrew, thai, hindi. It is based on Google translate service.
28. Sharetones for Android 1.1 beta Get ringtones on your phone based on songs you already own.
29. ShopSavvy Scan barcodes with your phone’’s camera and compare internet and local prices. Have a look over the article of Rob Jackson on Shop Savvy for Android: Defining The Vision.
30. CraigslistChecker Want to find that rare vinyl to spin this weekend? Maybe a new car? Search craigSlist easily. Save your favorite searches and set them as alerts. Save listings and email them to your friend.
Good post. Some other apps I would recommend would be:
My Coupons: Saves money while shopping or eating out. You can print out coupons (some of the coupons are for free stuff).
iMusic: Download free songs to your phone.
Cardio Trainer: Tracks your hikes. It also tells you how many calories you burned, steps you took, time and how many miles you did. It also has the ability to keep track of your weight loss and set goals for yourself.
Where's My Android: Ever lost your phone and you go to call it to listen for the ringer and it is on silent? Now when you lose it you can text your phone. It will turn silent mode odd and ringer volume up. The phone will start ringing.
Google Maps: GPS navigation, Labs,business listings, driving/transtit/walking directions,street view, traffic
aTrackDog- Finds the newest version for all apps even they are not listed in market. You can uninstal apps with this too along with trackings apps,manage apps,export apps list, shows size. Browse top 100 popular apps.
Bartender: Drinks can be viewed, rated, marked as your favoriate and you can search for new drinks to try.
Hi Yahoo: Yahoo messenger for Android. Data is sent through the network and no SMS fee.
Brightkite: Use brightkite to meet people around you, keep track of your friends, explore and discover places.
Instead of the "Android Video Converter" (Which is NOT free, only a 30 day trial) I would *highly* recommend the Open Source (Totally free) WinFF converter. It has specific settings for "Google Android" and is as quick as any other converter out there.
You can download it from http://winff.org/html_new/downloads.html
You can even set the exact resolution you wish to use, be it for the Motorola Droid at 854X480 or for the Eris at 480X320 to completely and perfectly fill your entire screen. (Click on the "Options" button at the upper-right corner.)
By default it will encode a single audio channel to save space, which is fine if you are going to listen to it on the built-in speaker, but if you are going to use headphones, click on the "Audio Settings" (Again, under the "options") and put a "2" (without the quotes) in the Audio Channels box.
If you have a multi-core processor, go to "Edit" and "Preferences" at the top, and put a check box in the multithreading option to speed up the conversion.
I would add:
NubiNews - Has feeds from CNN, NY Times, LA Times, Reuters, Android Phone Fans, Engadget, Gizmodo, Wired and more.
Flixster - Locale based movie show times
NYC Bus & Subway Maps - Just what it says
WaveSecure Mobile Security - Lets you back up/restore, remotely lock or wipe data.
1. Ghost Radar - Freaky Freak Freak
4. Documents To Go
5. The Schwartz Unsheathed