Android Apps Abusing Our Privacy Surreptitiously
edupergut

I am contacting you because I am really upset and very worried at the blatant disregard for our privacy, demonstrated by the providers of Android apps (don’t know if it also applied to Apple) but whenever one tries to install a new app, even a game or utility, paid or free; many require you to accept terms  and conditions that allows them to see and use all of your contacts, personal info and data in your device, like if it was their anointed right, without even
asking you for permission. All disguised as the harmless user licences we were accostumed to on PCs.

I think we are being abused in a surreptitious and ill-intended way, for many people don't even know this is happening. Be very careful with what the terms and conditions of that app are, for you may unknowingly be divulging your folks info and number to people you really don't know anything about... and if Facebook and Instagram are a sample, we are in deeeeep trouble.

Am I looney? for I don't see or hear any comments in the media. No. I am pretty sure I am right. Just take a look when you install an app. Read the Terms and Conditions expanding them fully and you will see.

I heard NPR had a piece on this last week but I haven't found it yet.

I also heard that some countries in Europe have already prohibited this practice.

How we can we stop this? You and I can spread the word and demand this abuse be stopped immediatly and that any information derived from this practice be immediatly destroyed anywhere it was spread to.

I am calling on phone companies to help us on this by not allowing it to continue and allowing us to uninstall any app we do not want on our phones,

My Samsung Gallaxy Note 2 is the greatest phone around and I love it dearlt but it is worthless if I can't download app because my privacy is at risk.

Typical example:

• Your personal information:
    • read your contacts,
    • read sensitive log data,
    • modify your contact
  • Phone calls:
    • read phone status and identity,
    • reroute outgoing calls,
    • Others go as far a including the right to call your contacts and pull from their info whatever they please.

Thanks for your time and hope you can help me do something about it. Your family's info is at risk in their unscrupulous hands.

<Personal information removed for privacy per the .>

<Moderator note: If you are so concerned about your privacy, please do not post that information on a public forum.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes