Re: When will the LTE version of the Galaxy Watch be available?
ROGERBREVARD
Enthusiast - Level 3

The LTE version of the Galaxy smartwatch will not function properly unless you buy the Verizon watch with the Verizon ROM. All these workarounds are IDIOTIC. Any phone or watch that's either "unlocked" or from another vender will be missing functions and features that you will uncover eventually. The whole purpose of the LTE version of the watch is to be self-sufficient and to function completely WITHOUT your phone. So why anyone buys this watch and falls for this game using a T-Mobile or any other vender's phone is really a sucker. I can't figure out why Verizon always plays these games with their customers, but we are largely a captive audience because none of the other venders provide adequate service in many areas including mine. So basically I'm sucked in again to this idiotic Verizon waiting game. And all of these so-called "release dates" are simply rumors, I'll believe that the stupid watch is available when I see it.

0 Likes
MAGICKLY

I can confirm DAVEKD7KXE is correct.  Samsung Gear S3 smartwatch can be activated ($15/month) with it's own VZW number, which allows you to call out and receive calls and text ,check emails, stream premium spotify music, etc via 4G while you are away from your phone, not BT connected to your phone or connected to wifi.    If you DO have BT connected AND have Samsung Gear/Wear software connected to your Gear S3 via BT, you will receive calls and texts and notifications on your GearS3.  If you lose your bluetooth connection, and have "remote" setting enabled in Gear/Wear software on your phone, your calls and texts from your phone will STILL forward to your Gear S3 using Samsungs servers via 4G or wifi.  When your are NOT bluetooth connected to your phone, and call OUT directly from your watch as standalone, it WILL show your Gear S3 vzw number on recipient's caller ID, NOT your phone's number, (same with my Gear S2 and S2 Classic (via 3g) which is why ....

VZW ALSO offers numbershare service (additional $5/month = total $20 month) which does all of the above, BUT shows your phone's number when you are calling out from your Gear S3 and NOT connected to your phone in any way.    I had my GS3 working with numbershare for a week or so, which was cool.  Then I changed vzw phone number on my cell, and have since been unable to get GS# and Note8 connected with Numbershare, so I can receive and respond too calls and texts from my phone (& number), but if I am disconnected from my phone and call or text direct from GS3, shows my GS3 number.  For a time, when NumberShare was active, and my BT disconnected, I was prompted when calling out if I wanted to use my GS3 number or Phone # for call out.    This was just in the last week.  I just hung up wit vzw support after my 4th hour long call to attempt to have numbershare reconnected properly, still not fixed.  Escalated to top tier tech support.  I share this to those who are worried they will not be able to have standalone callouts/texts on new vzw Galaxy Gear when released.  Will presumably have same setup.

I asked rep about the 6 months retire sim issue.  Esims are not locked, just retired, similar to old sims after a normal android phone is not active beyond 6 mos you would need to order new sim or stop by vzw store and pick one up.  Verizon gear watches unused/unactivated beyond 6 months can be reactivated on verizon.  It is possible other carriers will not activate, not compatible or ploy to get you to switch service to their plans OR if device sim/esim has been blacklisted across carriers for being stolen, or unpaid contract/bills to original carrier.

Tech stated verizon does not LOCK ANY DEVICE.

0 Likes
gvanmeter81
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dude. What a waste of your time. We're talking about the new Galaxy

Watch....not the Gear S3. Thanks for attempting to help though.

GALAXY WATCH = T-Mobile exclusive, locked, doesn't work without a separate

voice plan on the mobile carrier.

MAGICKLY

Dude

I am very aware of the entire discussion.  I was responding to specific post(s) within the discussion confirming standalone calling/texting with a separate vzw works on vzw Gear S3 and will also work on new vzw Galaxy Gear also, as they have similar specs (based on Tmobile's released specs) and will use Samsung Gear/Wear Android Software, regardless of carrier

I had plenty of time to waste as I was waiting for vzw tech support to call me back.

GALAXY WATCH is only temporarily Tmobile exclusive, as Verizon & ATT will also be releasing GALAXY WATCH.  Chatted with Tmobile rep, who stated watch can be used on standalone plan without companion phone on voice plan, which doesn't seem likely.

All posts are searchable, so yeah, the info I posted may help others.

Your rude post, not so much.

0 Likes
gvanmeter81
Enthusiast - Level 2

The T-Mobile rep told me the same thing when I purchased it. Took 3 days

before support finally confirmed to me that it wouldn't work without

another voice plan. I also found the same information on the Shop Samsung

app in the small print when you search for the Galaxy Watch LTE.

0 Likes
Kohld
Contributor - Level 1

Well, I am tired of waiting for information on the LTE version.

I can accomplish 90% of what I want the watch for with the bluetooth version plus my Galaxy S9 and Tab S4. So Best Buy will get my money and Verizon won't, and no I do not think Verizon will care one bit, but this whole episode just demonstrates the desperate need to seperate device sales from the network.

I am really tired of someone from Verizon deciding which devices I will be permitted to choose from.

0 Likes
DODZTER

IMO The Galaxy watch won't be released by other carriers until the T-Mobile special offer ends. They are offering a buy one get one half off deal. It does sound like there may be an excusive deal just for T-Mobile at the moment. Do they think you'll switch carriers or add a T-Mobile line just for the watch? Sounds silly to me. I wouldn't do that. Some may. The offer began on 8-24. So perhaps the promotion won't go much longer.

If this idea has already been mentioned please forgive. Didn't read all posts.

0 Likes
gvanmeter81
Enthusiast - Level 2

It would really be nice if Samsung would communicate that on launch. Tell

the customer that TMobile has a 30, 60, or 90 day exclusive rather than

just leaving their customers guessing.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

gvanmeter81 wrote:

It would really be nice if Samsung would communicate that on launch. Tell

the customer that TMobile has a 30, 60, or 90 day exclusive rather than

just leaving their customers guessing.

That would defeat the purpose of being exclusive.  T-Mobile paid a lot to see people potentially switching.  If people are impatient and switch well T-Mobile made theirs while Samsung made theirs.  If Samsung says something then there is less incentive as there may be less people switching if they knew they had to wait a short period of time.

0 Likes
RICK7098

You would think that they would give a general idea of when they were going to at least make an announcement. Given the fact that the competition is already selling them and there is some customer interest,  a reasonable person would expect to hear something. Feels like Verizon is too big and doesn't care to lose some customers. We all know they're reading these posts, why not answer up...?

0 Likes