Re: When will the LTE version of the Galaxy Watch be available?
MercuryPower

a Verizon rep at best buy told me that best buy is suppose to start receiving it in october. (i discovered this while trying to activate the lte unlocked galaxy watch on verizon's network that bestbuy sells, it didn't work btw)

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Actually all watches are unlocked. All the galaxy S and watch are.  The problem is how Samsung did the sims software. It's just easier to say they are locked than to explain the software.

It does work as a standalone device but you need a phone to activate the sim on your specific network.

0 Likes
JOG0277
Contributor - Level 3

I wouldn't recommend buying any LTE Enabled Smartwatch and trying to connect it to the Verizon Network.  That's because Verizon mysteriously disabled the feature that allows the device to connect to their network, (this feature is called Integrated Calling).  What this means is, you will NOT be able to make phone calls from your smartwatch as a Stand Alone device.  It makes no sense to spend upwards of $350 on a smartwatch that can't connect to the network.  I would wait until Verizon enables this feature (not sure if they ever will)  before I consider buying an LTE smartwatch.

Was Integrated Calling Disabled so that Verizon could establish 5G?

0 Likes
RYAHAY50
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure what you are talking about here. You can do this now with an Apple Watch. It works great.

0 Likes
RYAHAY50
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unless you are saying standalone, meaning without first connecting it to a Verizon phone?

0 Likes
gvanmeter81
Enthusiast - Level 2

Galaxy Watch doesn't work the same as an Apple Watch. It's set up so you have to go through the app that has to be on the same network.

0 Likes
JOG0277
Contributor - Level 3

Yes...I'm stating as a  "Stand Alone Device" ...meaning, a device that can make calls without being connected to a phone.....Currently, LTE Smartwatches can still make calls if connected to a phone via Bluetooth, but they can NO-LONGER make phone calls as a "Stand Alone" device, because Verizon disabled the Integrated Calling feature....This disabled feature affects ALL LTE Smartwatches on the Verizon Network ( IE: LG Watch Sport, Apple Watch 3, Samsung Gear S3)... See attached Link for more Info.

Was Integrated Calling Disabled so that Verizon could establish 5G?

0 Likes
thegman4ever
Enthusiast - Level 1

To all,   If you are a Samsung fan, my suggestion is to move to T-Mobile (i am working on that now)   T-mobile always has the newest Samsung stuff right away, and no need to wait for months for Verizon to decide that they can make money off it and start to offer it.

0 Likes
JOG0277
Contributor - Level 3

I Agree with you100 %

Verizon has 2 Main Issues Right Now (in reference to it's mobile devices). #1- Their Verizon Message Plus App is no longer compatible with Google Smartwatch Software.  Which means if you have an Android Smartwatch, the Verizon App won't work on it.  #2 - Verizon has disabled Integrated Calling.  Which means; If you have an LTE Smartwatch or Tablet, you can't make any calls on either device as "A Stand Alone Device".

These issues have been a Verizon problem since April of 2018.  I finally got tired of waiting for Verizon to fix them.  I did some research and found a Message App called "Pulse".  It's compatible with Android Watch Software and it can be used in conjunction with the Verizon Message App on your phone.  I use this App to sync my text messages between my Verizon phone and my LG Watch Sport Smartwatch.  This App works great, but there's a $1 monthly fee to use the App.  Next I went to T-mobile and got a T-mobile SIM Card installed in my Smartwatch.  T-mobile charges me $15 per month for the phone line (Ugh!!).  But it's nice to be able to use my watch again as a  "Stand Alone Device".  Unless Verizon corrects these issues soon...T-mobile will continue to steal away your customers...No wonder T-mobile is the fastest growing mobile company!!...Verizon Beware!!

0 Likes
DAVEKD7KXE

You are WRONG!!!

I STILL CURRENTLY have 2 Samsung Gear S2s connected to Verizon. They both have thier OWN number, and can make/receive calls with phone at home and watch with me elsewhere.

My actual phone I can enable or dissable after 3 rings, it transfers to my watch, done through either the Gear app or through Verizon (so when done Verizon automatically either transfers the call after 3 rings, or after however many rings sends them to voice mail). If the watch and phone are together my watch goes off immediately, but if I don't answer, and I have forwarding turned on my watch will go off yet again.

A buddy of mine just bought a NEW Gear S3, after me telling him not to buy a "used of any kind" cause the esim will be "retired" (non-functional) to Verizon making it just a Bluetooth watch (he did and it went down like I said, luckily he got his $ back), and it is now connected to Verizon. His Gear S3 is a "share number".

So there is no forwarding, but if he leaves his phone at home, his watch can make and receive calls, and get texts to his watch if away from the phone. My S2 will get texts to my phone, if phone is around. However, if someone wants to text me and my phone isn't around, they have to text my watches number.

0 Likes