Re: slow data after switching to unlimited
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SLOBIZMAN, the first thing I want to share is I apologize it took some time to craft a solution to meet your needs for the month. To share why you couldn't move to a lower data plan for the month when you're on a higher data plan and want to move to a lower one (or go from an unlimited plan to a fixed one). Your usage during that time on the higher plan can exceed what is allowed on the lower plan. That would generate an overage charge which could be quite large. To prevent that situation, we begin the lower plan at the start of your new cycle.

I'm glad my colleague could craft a plan to increase your data for the remainder of the month, and get you on the 8 GB plan for your next cycle. The changing of the plan while you're traveling, won't affect your service or any international plan/coverage you added.

We appreciate the fact you've been with us for twenty-five years. It would be disheartening to see you leave the family after all this time. Outside of changing when you can move to the 8 GB plan, what can do to help you stay with VZW?

John_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
HENRICKA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am experiencing the same issues and have been with Verizon for 17 years! I used to have the 32 (35?) GB plan, they talked me into the unlimited plan because I was going over my usage once in a while. Well the end result is .13 .15 .08 download speeds and .59 .64 .62 upload speeds!! It took me forever to download the Ookla speed test and this forum!! I am not able to go back to my original plan because it was "grandfathered" in.

What did you end up doing with your service? I called AT & T and that is much less expensive but not the same options I have now. Another carrier or satellite internet? I am paying for internet that us not usable

Any advice would be appreciated - located in NW Wisconsin

rcschnoor
Legend

Which unlimited plan do you have. There are different levels which have different points in time before you would have the possibility of having your data re-prioritized when on a congested tower.

GoUnlimited - possibility of being re-prioritized at any time.

BeyondUnlimited - possibility of being re-prioritized at any time after using 22 GB on a line during a billing cycle.

AboveUnlimited - possibility of being re-prioritized at any time after using 75 GB on a line during a billing cycle.

HENRICKA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the unlimited plan that slows after 12GB, I knew that when I changed plans but it was not stated to be so slow it is unusable. I would have been better off pay the 80 for 32 gigs and pay for the overages

I don’t know what to do, i see I can add a boost? Who wants to add a boost to service I should already have/pay for!!

Any ideas or thoughts

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
HENRICKA
Enthusiast - Level 2

When you use the levels other than the one I have, it restricts usage on certain devices! That doesn’t help me

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
SLOBIZMAN
Enthusiast - Level 3

Henricka, I have not yet decided on what carrier to switch to. I'm going on a two week vacation in about a week and probably won't do anything until after that so I don't get any potential disruptions.

"I have the unlimited plan that slows after 12GB, I knew that when I changed plans but it was not stated to be so slow it is unusable."

Herein lies the problem.  People would understand that at times their connection might be slowed.  But no one expects the slowing to be virtually a stopping.  Verizon can saw what they want (and they do), but the connection goes from speedy to near-ZERO when the network is congested (which is much of the time).

It would be more honest if Verizon would say that from time to time when the network is congested, we will completely stop your internet access.  That would be honest, and then we could make better decisions.  As it is, Verizon is essentially lying to us all.

HENRICKA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am in total agreement - I am close to tears every day!

Sent from my iPhone

Slucas8
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, me too.

My wife and I have been with Verizon since 2001 and we are about to change to AT&T or T-Mobile. We 'upgraded' to the unlimited plan and are paying more money for it now than we did before when we had a certain amount of data. When we ran out of data on our old plan, we would go into 'safe mode' where it would be slower but still functional (3G speeds). Now, with unlimited high speed data, we are throttled approximately 75% of the time. When we are throttled, I cannot even use the GPS on my phone since it is too slow to even find locations to navigate to.  It slows us down to nothing at all. Not functional for 75% of my day.

Every time I contact Verizon, they tell me the same things. They cut and paste a form letter into the response and tell me about other plans that I could upgrade to for more money.

Not what I signed up for. Not loyal to me and my family as we have been loyal to them for almost 18 years.

Slucas8
Enthusiast - Level 2

My speeds are so slow right now that my download speed is 0.74 Mbps and upload speed is 0.80 Mbps. No ok.

SLOBIZMAN
Enthusiast - Level 3

"0.74 Mbps"

Lucky you. That's about 10X my "speed." LOL.