Winegard Gateway GW-1000/Air 360+
jayffmail
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased a new RV this week with a Winegard 360+ roof mounted antenna system, and a GW-1000 gateway on the interior. This gateway is simply a hotspot, wired with an external antenna to pick up signal. It supports a standard SIM card and is compatible with Verizon, ATT, and Winegard pre-paid. 

I have read, in these forums, my exact problem, and they are internal to Verizon's poor support. Customers do eventually get resolved, but not without hours of frustration and misdirection: https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Verizon-Wireless-Services/Winegard-Connect-2-0-WF-435/td-p/...

Here's what I need:  Verizon to competently add a data line to my account, correctly and completely code a sim card for my device, and get it to me in the next 24 hours. Too much to ask? I am willing to go to a store to pick up the SIM.

Here's what I want: Verizon to update their documentation and instructions to representatives about Winegard devices so they can support the tens of thousands of RV customers in the US. 

I have lost at least 7 hours going down blind alleys with various tiers of Verizon support/Verizon stores. Numerous attempts to get a SIM from Verizon have failed, as the IMEI is not associated in their system with this device. After spending an incredible amount of time on this (longer than it took to purchase and equip the RV) I am frustrated beyond words. The misdirection is astounding; I've heard "Oh it's a business device" "Oh it's a hotspot, you have to buy this from verizon" "We don't support this device" Please get this right. 

Re: Winegard Gateway GW-1000/Air 360+
jayffmail
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here's the Winegard page promoting Verizon: https://winegard.com/plans/cellular-data/verizon

0 Likes
jayffmail
Enthusiast - Level 2

Continuing the saga; today I contacted business support, and was basically told that unless I have a business account, I can't get them to check the IMEI. I figured this to be a rabbit hole. I asked them to transfer me to tech support, and lo and behold, the agent was able to associate the IMEI with a supported "hot spot" like device! 

They had to put it on my account as a phone, then mail the SIM card to me, next up, I get to activate it in the new device and it should get recognized as a device, not a phone. 

After reading my account, the agent offered to call me back to discuss the plan after activation. If anyone is reading this, stay tuned!

Side Note: I asked the agent to escalate on her end to get these instructions to people that need them, so Verizon can properly support boats and RV's with WiFi. 

Connerd

Status update please.

0 Likes
Beachbumming
Enthusiast - Level 2

At this point, it may not help you any, but anyone can check an IMEI against Verizon's Device Management Database (DMD) by using their BYOD device checker found here: https://www.verizon.com/onedp/byod#/

For something like your hotspot, click on Other Device Type.  Enter the 15-digit IMEI number.  If the IMEI is in Verizon's DMD, then you'll get a message stating your device will work on Verizon's network.

0 Likes
abbysaeger
Enthusiast - Level 1

Did you ever resolve this issue? We are in the same boat... or RV I guess lol!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

abbysaeger, our goal is to provide you with a great experience. To confirm, are you receiving all the exact errors and issues described above? Were you provided with information from the manufacture confirming this device is Verizon compatible? 

0 Likes
metalmancpa

Thanks to this thread, when I called Verizon Wireless we got through it, got the plan, and the SIM is being shipped out. Expensive plan at $80/mo 15gb data but cheaper then Winegard. Never checked AT&T price.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Happy to hear you were able to get your service set up with us! Please feel free to reach out to us here or any of our social media platforms if you ever need anything in the future. We will always be standing by ready to assist! DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
ericjohn

Well a year later Verizon still does not no how to support winegard.   I am going through the same issues.  Most of their customer support has never heard of it and try to send me to the fiber optic FIOS customer support who send me back to cellular.  The store manager at my local Seattle Corporate Verizon Store said in no uncertain terms that it won't work and apologized that Winegard is making false claims.  

Winegard data is expensive but I am reluctant to activate and pre pay for a verizon data plan when the people selling it to me say it is non refundable and that it won't work!

Please Help!

0 Likes