Staten Island Coverage isn't acceptable
mikeluscher159
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello.

I've been putting up with over congested and slow Band 13 LTE, a few bright spots of speedy service (XLTE/Band 4)

But so much of Staten Island is weak 3G, or the biggest insult, Dropping back to 1X! IN 2014! ON "AMERICAS BEST NETWORK"

This is  NYC, one of the biggest metropolises in the world, and your supposed to be the most reliable in the country.

I learned the hard way, this isn't the case

But call after call, I get no answers, all I get is hung up on, "Reboot your phone", or signals acceptable. 1X IS NOT ACCEPTABLE IN 2014!

I've attempted to open tickets, but they get closed and no one ever gets back to me.

On Droid Maxx's, iPhone 5's and 5S's, I'm just disappointed in Verizon. When my contracts are up (3 months to a year), I'll probably jump ship to AT&T or T-Mobile. For $240 a month (I was promised a discount for my service issues, But I never got it, and I have the call recorded), I guess I just expected more.

I'd be more then happy to work with you guys, I have ticket numbers, all the basic troubleshooting's been done, And I know my way around a cell network.

If you plan on keeping me as a customer, I'd hope you'd help me. Because I already have several thousand complaints about Staten Island and Verizon's coverage, Both on Reddit and our Local News, So I'm not alone. 

0 Likes
Re: Staten Island Coverage isn't acceptable
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mikeluscher159,

Less than stellar service is definitely not what we expect our customer to experience. I definitely am interested in finding out exactly what is going on. Do you only have issues there with your device or outside of Staten Island as well? Is the issue only indoors or outdoors as well?

SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mluscher45

Outside the Island's usually better

Indoors, outdoors, doesn't matter. Signal's so weak in some areas it's a good 5 minutes drive to find steady 3G

It's not my device or account, because everyone on Verizon is having issues

This is gonna be even more sad when my phone goes VoLTE, as Verizon's not employing a CDMA call handoff, so with poor LTE coverage like this, Dropped calls will become the norm, very unlike Verizon's reputation.

You want address's/area's where coverage is poor, I'll be more then happy to give you a tour

Are there any plans for new towers or significant network improvements on Staten Island in the next 3 months? 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for offering these details, mluscher45. Does the performance vary during different times of day?  Is this only affecting data connections or calls over CDMA as well?

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
mikeluscher159
Enthusiast - Level 2

In some areas, it is affecting calls as well. But mainly data. I'm either dropping back to unstable, slow 3G, or barely clinging onto weak, congested Band 13 LTE. In areas where the LTE is good and your using Band 4, its pretty good. But some areas are just downright terrible. I can't hold a call reliably on weak 1X, which is in a unfortunate amount of areas, and my phones up next for VoLTE, which is gonna be even worse, with this poor LTE coverage.

0 Likes
Not applicable

How can you tell what band your using? My device just says 4G it doesn't break it down into bands.

0 Likes
mikeluscher159
Enthusiast - Level 2

LTE Discovery in the Play Store, puts a nice small icon in the notification bar if your on Band 13 (VZ's 700mhz LTE), or Band 4 (AWS, VZ Markets as "XLTE")

Not applicable

Thanks. Apparently they still haven't upgraded my area to  XLTE yet.

0 Likes
mikeluscher159
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can check the cities that Verizon's got XLTE in, or check the FCC's spectrum map website to see if VZ owns AWS spectrum in your area, because if they do, they may as well start using it soon.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yeah I know about the FCC spectrum map. Verizon pretty much has AWS everywhere it has 700 MHz. Nice map. It also shows how T-Mobile has spectrum in my area yet doesn't provide service for over 40 miles and even that's just edge. Verizon has 1710-1730 and 2110-2130 here as far as band 4.

This does beg the question does Verizon default to Band 4 first then Band 13. I'm just showing Band 13. Do both show up if you have them?

0 Likes