Slow LTE speeds in NYC - 7th Ave / 37th St
miketc
Enthusiast - Level 2

So when I first got the iPhone 5 last September the LTE speeds I got were nothing short of amazing.  It was screaming to at least 25 Mbps.  I've had it slowly degrade over the past half year to now where it is practically loading every webpage slower than a 14.4k baud modem.  I always have four bars and LTE is mostly showing all the time.  Speedtest app can't even find the closet server for me to perform a speedtest...  Am I the only one going thru this?  I've gotten the phone replaced, called verizon about it, nothing worked.  Sometimes 3G will be faster than LTE.  What is going on?

Labels (1)
Re: Slow LTE speeds in NYC - 7th Ave / 37th St
Not applicable

It's simple. Bandwidth is limited. Many more people have gotten Verizon 4G devices in your area since you first got yours. Thus more of the limited bandwidth Verizon has is being used. Also many of them could also still be on unlimited data which of course would use up even more of the limited bandwidth. Verizon is installing micro towers in NYC as we speak so that should help by the end of the year. They are also going to be deploying LTE over AWS spectrum which will help those with devices that can use that spectrum. The Iphone 5 isn't one of them. The GS4 however is.

Too many people think mobile data is some unlimited resource and that everyone should be able to use it as much as they want. The fact is the opposite is true. Verizon has maybe 3% of the capacity they need to be able to offer a 12 Mbps in an unlimited fashion to everyone on cell tower. Maybe within 8-10 years Verizon will have this capacity and they will be the first.

0 Likes
miketc
Enthusiast - Level 2

But why am I paying for this?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Because you choose to. It's not going to be any better with any other carrier. They have less 4G spectrum than Verizon. As more of their customers get 4G devices it will be the same or worse. Maybe now people will finally get why unlimited data has to go away.

0 Likes
VZWNY
Enthusiast - Level 3

All other carriers (Sprint, Tmobile, ATT) have far better speeds than VZ in NYC...

Just google:  LTE Midtown NYC   and look at all the results (notice all the complaints are also VZ related).  VZ is awful in NYC, and has been for over a year now, with not visible improvements.  It's sad really.  We shouldn't be satisified with 3g speeds, on the LTE network. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know that having service issues is frustrating VZWNY, especially if you have had great service previously. I'm sorry your speeds are slow because we do all that we can to improve areas that have little to no service. What zipcode are you located in? What phone do you have? Have we performed any trouble-shooting with your phone or filed a trouble-ticket for your area? Lets get started with resolving your issues so you can start to enjoy service again. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kinquana_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mush10

I was in Manhattan the past three days and Verizon service has become a joke.  LTE falling back to unusable EVDO and sometimes only 1x.  When LTE actually works I am lucky to see more than 2 Mbps.  I was around 48th and Lex, up and down 2nd and 3rd Ave, in the Bronx and some time on the upper west.  The network is failing all around.

0 Likes
VZWNY
Enthusiast - Level 3

A trouble ticket was finally opened recently, by a rep that was kind enough to hear out the underlying issues.  I have tried troubleshooting in-person, twitter, and on these forums to no avail until that rep.  The trouble ticket will supposedly take 3-5 business days to resolve - hopefully we will reach a good resolution for all of NYC.  I will keep this post updated.

0 Likes
Aleshka
Enthusiast - Level 1

The very same situation is around 51st & 7ave. LTE signal is almost nonexistent, text messages bounce back, opening email takes forever. I am using iPhone5. Switching to 3G helps somewhat, but what we're paying for than?

Verizon really needs to address it soon - I am on the verge of switching to AT&T and it looks like I am not alone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey Aleshka,

Let's speed things up for you. I want to make sure that you experience life in the fast lane.

I'm not too familiar with the area, could you please provide me with the zip code you are having issues in? I'll review the area.

Is this a residential or an office building? Do the issues primarily occur indoors or outdoors as well? Do you have trouble with phone calls as well?

Please try powering off the device and removing the sim card. Power the device back on and reinsert the sim card and test the connection for me.

For instructions on how to properly remove and reinsert the sim card visit http://vz.to/SyEX4x.

Keep us updated with results.

Nicholas_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes