Re: Samsung SCH-LC11 Blocks Microsoft VPN
Jearon

Can you share which options specifically corrected the problem?

Thx.

0 Likes
ITKen

I do not believe any acceptable solutions were given.  Only vague inferences as to what the problem could be.  Odarky's proxy setup is hardly an acceptable solution for a business environment.

I am seeing this issue as well.  Windows VPN works perfectly with 3G adaptor, but hangs at authentication on the Samsung 4G MIFI adaptor.  This seems like a pretty serious bug for a product that is being marketed to businesses.

0 Likes
rherman

The Samsung is getting a public address of 10.x.x.x which is a provate address and is issuing 192.168.x.x which is a private address.  This means that you are being double natted which can cause problems for PPTP (Windows VPN).  This is a poor configuration by VZW however if they are out of public IPs there isn't much else that they can do.  The long term solution would be to issue these devices public IPV6 addresses.

0 Likes
yazza101

I am blocked as well using Cisco IPSec VPN client.  I get an address on my company's internal network, but can't ping or access any network resources.  However, I am able to access resources using CIsco SSL VPN.

This is potentially a deal breaker...

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

It's probably the double NAT problem.

BTW VZW *very soon* WILL BE giving out public IP addresses (like consumer ISP's) but someone told me it will cost $500 and is aimed at businesses who need it. This is similar to the current 3G setup.

I would get a laptop card for the time being.

0 Likes
abailey

I was just speaking with my Verizon Business rep and it is confirmed by Samsung that there is a problem with GRE on the LC11. They are telling customers that it should be fixed within 60 days (BLEH!). Samsung/Verizon is suggesting to people that you use L2TP instead, that is if your company allows it. 

Sounds like a bunch of crap to me!

0 Likes
NedP

I am using the SCH-LC11 in the NYC area with a Juniper VPN.  I don't get blocked but I can not stay connected for more than 1 minute at which time the VPN is dropped completely.  So this appears to be a much larger issue for VZW and their business class customers.  What I wonder about is why there hasn't been any real publicity about this glaring problem.  Maybe if we can get this issue outside of this blog we can incent VZW to fix this sooner rather than later.  Just my two cents.

0 Likes
ZipTurtle
Contributor - Level 1

What I wonder about is why there hasn't been any real publicity about this glaring problem.

Don't know many businesses that would be inclined to announce they are having problems without needing to.  I'm sure there are a lot of users that don't use VPN where this is not an issue.

There are many other forums around that you can air the issue if you want.  Using these forums is by no means easy compared to most, you kind of have to go out of your way to use them.

I totally agree, this is a business class issue though and something they need to fix.  I'm sure they are working on it.

0 Likes
abailey
BTW, I did setup L2TP and it does work through the LC11. if you are on Windows Vista, 7 or Server 2008, there is a registry hack that you have to do if your RRAS is behind a NAT as well. This KB says for Vista and Windows Server 2008 but it does apply to Windows 7 as well. Also had to allow the three UDP ports (1701, 4500 & 500) and L2TP System Option on our PIX.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926179
0 Likes
NedP

Can someone from Verizon Wireless confirm whether this problem has been solved and if not when the fix will be available.  I have had to fall back to my 3G mifi and would really like to use the Samsung as I paid full rate for it.

thank you.

0 Likes