SIM Failure message
DavidSpeace

I have been using the UML290 for the last week and a half... when I first got it and brought it to my home... loaded up the software, plugged in the modem (UML290) and clicked on the "Connect WWAN" button on my laptop... I got a SIM Failure message. I took my laptop back to the Verizon store (Wyomissing, PA) and they played around with it... plugged the modem into their own laptop (it worked) but it wouldn't work in mine.... they said that it is my laptop that's causing the problem. I took it home and later that night I got it to work (not sure what I did to make it work)... after using it for about a week and a half it has been working, but yesterday it wouldn't connect at my home location... the SIM Failure message.  Today, I brought the laptop to my office and it is working. So my question.... is it my computer or the Verizon network that is causing the SIM Failure?  What does that message mean? Does anybody know?

Some other comments... the reason I went with this new modem is I trashed the old modem I had (3G).... my ac cable was dangling over the modem sticking out of the side of the laptop and I tripped over the cable and snapped the modem off of the connector!  So, I had received the promotional mailing from Verizon... this just gave me an excuse to buy the 4G modem!  But, in the meantime I have been having this other problem at my home (Bowmansville, PA)... I would be online and the modem (old) would just disconnect from the internet... so I would have to click on the Connect WWAN button again... this was happening fairly freqently for about 3 weeks before I bought the new modem... when I finally got the UML290 to work at home.... it too was disconnecting intermittently! And this... I brought the laptop to my office today (Morgantown, PA) and have had no problem connecting and no SIM Failure at this location. So is this intermittent problem a function of the towers being switched over to 4G, although were I live (about 12 miles south of Reading, PA) the service seems to be 3G! Here at my office it is also 3G, but like I said before the UML290 seems to work here.

Also, when I use my laptop at home, I connect wirelessly to a printer... this connection is done through my computer's built-in wireless capability or Wifi software... Intel PROSET/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection. At times I think that this may be causing a conflict... but I have connected to the internet with this turned on and off.... and the SIM Failure shows up either way.

DaveSp

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SIM Failure message
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Plasmatic wrote:

"

"03-08-2011 01:12 AM

OK GUYS ,IF YOU HAVE WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER  OPEN IT, GO TO SETTINGS, CLICK MESSENGER AND CALLER ID  THEN SELECT NONE ,CLICK SAVE ,AND EXIT. YOU WILL NEVER GET THAT MSG AGAIN .

MANY THANKS TO

Did that, it worked the first time (while I was still in the store) but after rebotting still getting the SIM failure message (I've got the UM551L modem). Checked the settings in Media Center - They hadn't changed (were still set to none for caller ID). This is the biggest piece of junk verizon has ever offered and no one can figure out the problem. Tried 3 modems & 3 SIM cards. Gonna go back to my old 727 3G card.

Thanks to all the community members for your value suggestions and input. 

Plasmatic, I apologize your having the issues with your Sim Card. Are you still receiving the Sim failure error message? For some unknown reason the Sim Card appears to be incorrectly inserted in the UM551L modem as VZAccess Manager is displaying the Sim Card Failure error message. The Sim Card needs to be inserted properly into your device with using great care. Here is a link to instructional video for assistance with the Sim Card. After you confirmed that the Sim Card is properly inserted and you continue having the issue, please send me a private message with your information to be assisted further.

Also, here are a few tips for handling the Sim card with great care:

• Avoid touching the gold contacts as much as possible.
  • Do not bend the Sim card.
  • The gold contacts must be aligned correctly to the gold contacts on the device. An angled cut-off notch on the Sim card indicates the orientation of the 4G Sim to the 4G device.
  • Keep the Sim card clean and dry at all times.
  • Avoid extreme temperatures and magnetic fields.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
DavidSpeace

No one has responded to this post yet.... am I the only one having this "SIM Failure" experience! I thought that I would add one more thing.... I have a second laptop... that works with the 4G modem at home... this is an Avertec laptop. The laptop that doesn't work at my home is a Dell laptop. So I have 2 laptops sitting side by side and one works and the other doesn't!

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

I'd like to sympathize with you David but your problem looks like it's pretty unique. 

The Verizon tech's occasionaly scan these forums and they may offer some public relations banter.   Some solutions to many problems have sprung from smart "civilians" on these forums, like the dreaded WM604 Error.  I'd suggest going up the search feature and scan for similar problems.         Also there's the Mobile Broadband  topic thread back at "Community".   

If nothing else, at least you've picked a good place to vent.  Good luck

0 Likes
dfl1

What is your laptop make? And secondly, if you are using a 4G Device, keep in mind 4G is very limited, as is 3G coverage areas. When you connect your WWAN, what does your network status say (3G, 1X, 1XEV, 4G)? Check the coverage map, and also check security settings for your device, as sometimes they have to modified to work properly in your area. Unfortunately, I have had the same issues; I have a Fivespot, with a Toshiba laptop; at home I go onto Extended, a distance I am back on 3G. It took some time, but finally had a service rep help me set the security settings to be fully compatable with my laptop (default was WPA, had to switch to WPA-2).

If all else fails, give 4G some time. It's still new, as it was a yr. before 3G was truly setup.

Good luck!

0 Likes
dfl1

Forgive me. It could very well be the security settings for the device that is preventing it from working on the Dell. I have also heard of issues with Avertec, as well as Toshiba.

They are known issues, changing the security of the modem should make it compatible.

0 Likes
njtech

I have also had the sim failure message. Mine just went away on its own,

but I still have other issues 604 error etc.. I don't use VZaccess to connect at

this point and connect using the dial up workaround. They have some bugs to work

out for sure.

0 Likes
DavidSpeace

Thanks, for the replies so far.... I have a Dell Inspiron... I will check the security settings. Also, I am in a 3G area and have a strong consisten signal... 3g and 1xev, etc. I did have the Dell working and then it stopped. The Avertec that I have works fine.  My Dell laptop worked with the old 3g modem I had... the one that I broke by tripping over the power cord that was slung over the device sticking out from the computer! I will check the WPA setting and change it to WPA2 and see what that does.

0 Likes
larry7834

I had the same thing happen to me.:manmad: Their tech support could not figure it out after 2 hours of trying.:smileysad: I finally figured out my computer had new updates on it that would not allow the SIM card to work. I reloaded Vista and it works great.:smileyvery-happy: I'm scared to do any window updates now though. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

Again with the above comments it looks like a computer/software problem with Windows and not anything related to VZW. If you could authenticate at least once then yes your SIM works fine. The SIM Failure error message is probably a programming else statement because it couldn't find any other error condition.

0 Likes
mario1233445

I KNOW THE SOLUTION FOR 4G SIM FAILURE

IT IS YOUR PC OR LAPTOP FAULT NOT THE SIM CARD

I TRIED ON MANY PC AND WORKS FINE ON OTHERS, BUT NOT ON  MINE.

AFTER MANY HOURS OF TRYING IT WORKS ON MINE TOO.

I TURN ON MY LAPTOP THEN AFTER 5 SECONDS I CLIK THE SHUT DOWN BUTTON,{ BUT ONLY CLICK THE STAND BY OR HIBERNATE BUTTON(NOT SHUT DOWN)} 

THEN I LET IT HIBERNATE/STANDBY ABOUT 5 SECONDS THEN TOUCH TURN ON BUTTON THEN OPEN VZ ACCESS MGR AND CLICK DETECT DEVICE BUTTON THEN CLICK CONNECT

0 Likes