Possible to use a MiFi4510l as modem with Cradlepoint router?
gerrshel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry if this question is already here someplace, seems I'd seen something but cannot find now with the changes to the forum, seems that the layout makes it hard to drill down for some info or see the threads already existing. searching does not seem very intuitive to me either.....there's my 2 cents....so,  on to my question:

I'd like to replace my WildBlue satellite service with VZW service. I started using a MiFi4510l recently and with 4G service just arriving here, it beats the satellite speeds considerably.  It does cost a bit more per Gb but not substantially.  I believe I will make the change this month and dump the WB service.

So, I'd like to end up with the 4510 as a modem feeding into a router, in other words taking the place of the WildBlue router. My setup now is using a Linksys WRT54G router, from there we use a combination of wired and wireless connections for laptops, desktops, printers, etc.

I see how I could do that  with the Pepwave Surf  per other posts I've read here.  (Having trouble locating them today with the new layout).

I have also read about connecting the 4510 to a Cradlepoint router by USB cable, and I am wondering if this would be a better setup, or if it does work this way. Anyone have experience with this? Looks like there may be some different Cradlepoint router models available. 

One consideration for me:  I would want to be sure I had 802.11 "g" available as that is what I have on 2 laptops and a printer....

Also, given 4G service, would I sacrifice any speed by routing the VZW signal through a "g" router?

thanks,  Happy New Year

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Possible to use a MiFi4510l as modem with Cradlepoint router?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

(gerrshel),

The MiFi 4510L cannot be USB tethered for a data connection.  If you tried to tether it all that would be accomplished is charging, the device would still be connected wirelessly to the Cradlepoint router.

The pepwave, cradlepoint and even the new Netgear router can provide you with the receiver and wireless to LAN cable features that you are asking about.  Depending on the rest of the features and the $$$ you want to spend you can go one way or another.  I now have a Pepwave and it works great, although I wish I could change the wireless channel on it to further optimize my enviornment.

Keep in mind that every wireless node/hop/router/rebroadcast connection that you add to the MiFi the slower your data speeds will be.  Sending a connection through a cable eliminates some of the overhead but you can still see a performance hit when you look for it.  In general try to use as few additional devices as possible if speed is what you are concerned about.  Id consider purchasing one of the above mentioned devices and replacing your current Linksys router all togeather.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would love to be proved wrong but to this point you still can't use the 4510l in a tethered fashion (USB connection), it is possible to charge it via USB while using it, but you can't actually use it as a usb modem.  One of the many disappointments the 4510 brought to the table... 😞

0 Likes
gerrshel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, I suspect that you are correct, unfortunately.  I am also hoping somebody will prove you wrongSmiley Happy.

I just posed the question to sales @ 3gstore.com, guessing I won't get an answer for a day or two.  I'll post their answer here.

Meanwhile, the VZW 4G service seems to work fairly well for us, not nearly as fast as advertised but much better than WB by far, maybe 2 -4 Mbps reported by speakeasy.net.  Unfortunately, we don't have any other decent choices for internet service where we are located.

When I said "WildBlue router" in OP, I meant modem... guessing you knew that. Thanks               

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

(gerrshel),

The MiFi 4510L cannot be USB tethered for a data connection.  If you tried to tether it all that would be accomplished is charging, the device would still be connected wirelessly to the Cradlepoint router.

The pepwave, cradlepoint and even the new Netgear router can provide you with the receiver and wireless to LAN cable features that you are asking about.  Depending on the rest of the features and the $$$ you want to spend you can go one way or another.  I now have a Pepwave and it works great, although I wish I could change the wireless channel on it to further optimize my enviornment.

Keep in mind that every wireless node/hop/router/rebroadcast connection that you add to the MiFi the slower your data speeds will be.  Sending a connection through a cable eliminates some of the overhead but you can still see a performance hit when you look for it.  In general try to use as few additional devices as possible if speed is what you are concerned about.  Id consider purchasing one of the above mentioned devices and replacing your current Linksys router all togeather.

0 Likes
gerrshel
Enthusiast - Level 2

My answer arrived from 3gstore, here it is(in bold), as you guys already knew...:

"Hello,

No, the MiFi 4510L doesn't support direct tethering at this time in any of the routers. What you'd need to do is get one of our WiFi as WAN routers here - http://3gstore.com/waw

You'd connect the MiFi via WiFi to the router that would then create a larger WiFi network and give you access to Ethernet out to connect all your hardware.

- Matt"

John, is the pepwave you have the "Pepwave Surf Mini"?  http://3gstore.com/product/1813_pepwave-surf-mini-200.html

and if it is, do you have it connected to a router by ethernet cable? Or am I missing the best way to consolidate 2 networks into 1? 

And the also, from above post:

"One consideration for me:  I would want to be sure I had 802.11 "g" available as that is what I have on 2 laptops and a printer...."

Guess I need to do some more learning here.... thanks for the help.  Gerry

0 Likes
gerrshel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Couple more thoughts/questions...

Would I possibly be better off with a USB modem that WOULD tether directly to a current router?... (Haven't studied the current offerings for the USB modem choices)... I don't anticipate much traveling with the MiFi, and when we do, 1 computer is all we carry.  Thinking I could still bail on my VZW commitment until the 15th, or possibly I could trade equipment.

If I use the Pepwave, it looks like Windows file sharing does not work with it as a router?  We do plenty of file sharing/ moving, etc. with the existing Lynksys router, it's been pretty well behaved for maybe 5 years now.  So, to basically replace the WildBlue but continue our network as we are used to(file sharing a must),  we would have this arrangement...

MiFi4510>>>>wirelessly connected to >>> Pepwave Surf MIni >>>> ethernet cable connected to>>>>> existing network: Lynksys WRT54G (or newer/later model router)  sound correct? Or a better way to do this? 

Does concern me to sacrifice any noticeable speed with the additional wireless connection

Do the older Samsung MiFi units(2200?) tether by USB cable? are they not as good for some reason?   thanks

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

John, is the pepwave you have the "Pepwave Surf Mini"?

Yes.  I have the Mini model.

do you have it connected to a router by ethernet cable?

No.  I have my pepwave connected to a router which has its own modem connection.  The pepwave is repeating my router's signal to give me better reception and signal strength in a different area.  I connect wirelessly to the pepwave when I am in that area.  I noticed the difference when I set up the devices, but ultimately i went with all wireless due to convenience. 

Would I possibly be better off with a USB modem that WOULD tether directly to a current router?...

Technically yes, but you may not notice the difference.  A USB connection to a cradlepoint router would be quicker than a MiFi to Pepwave according to my testing.  Given your information a single USB modem would be better for performance reasons.

MiFi4510>>>>wirelessly connected to >>> Pepwave Surf MIni >>>> ethernet cable connected to>>>>> existing network: Lynksys WRT54G (or newer/later model router)  sound correct?

Yes.  Thats the best way to do it with those devices.

Do the older Samsung MiFi units(2200?) tether by USB cable?

Not sure, I've never had a 2200.  The older models simply cannot support 4G LTE like the newer models can.  Likewise, older MiFi's might not be supported by Verizon if you have a problem where the new models are.

0 Likes
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

For the most part using a wireless connection between the 4510 and whichever wireless router you decide to use will be fine, I just don't like it because it is one more needless hop between my computers and the internet (the hardwired computers) and because it's one more point of failure in what has historically been a very flaky technology (LTE).  If I could I would go back to a USB modem and just plug it directly into one of the pc's (or a cradle) and use that as the access point to the internet.

Keep in mind all of your file and printer sharing will still be inside the local network so the connection to the internet device will be meaningless at that point.

The 2200 did allow for tethering which gave it the best of both worlds, it just isn't compatible with LTE.

0 Likes
gerrshel
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I replied to Matt by email at 3Gstore and asked for a return phone call to ask further questions and he called me back ... what a pleasant surprise! 

He told me about the Cradlepoint MBR95:  http://3gstore.com/product/3029_cradlepoint_mbr95.html?gclid=CI39oJvotK0CFQSFhwodmzMikw  about $100 + shipping

I had been looking at the MBR1400, more like $300+

It doesn't show up on the page referenced above:http://3gstore.com/waw and he wasn't sure why, said they would get that fixed.  His take was get rid of my Lynksys and use the MBR95, rather than add the Pepwave to an old router, will cost about the same.... for both the reasons mentioned above.... he did not think I would notice any latency/speed differences that were noticeable. The broadcast range is less with with the MBR95, but seems like it will do the job for me.  Figure i'll sleep on it for a day or two ... looks like "WiFi as WAN"  is what I'm looking for in a router, don't know if there are other choices. 

Side note: Matt at 3Gstore thought there was a version of the Novatel 4510(probably a slightly different model #) from/for Sprint that would tether by cable.  He seemed to think that firmware was the only reason why VZW 4510 cannot connect by USB.  Maybe somebody at VZW is paying attention....

thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

My experiences with 3G store support have been good too.  They will continue to support your device after you purchase it aswell which is a really nice feature considering they do not manufacture any of the products they offer.

I'd agree with Matt's advice, replacing the cisco router would be better than adding another one to the current setup.  With a cradlepoint router you can do either the USB modem or the MiFi so there is greater flexibility with those devices.

0 Likes