Poor Connection on Chicago Metra West Line (UPW) and pretty much all Metra lines
metra_commuter_UPW
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello, 

While commuting on the Chicago Metra Rail West Line (UPW) I cannot connect via my iPhone X or using the Verizon Ellipsis hotspot. The LTE connection drops in and out and is very VERY slow. I tried resetting network settings and going back to 3G to see i that made a difference (it did not).

I've read this is an issue and I am perplexed as I see many a commuter on their phones streaming video, etc. so not sure what the problem is. 

Is there anything Verizon can do to improve the connection issues along the Chicago Metra Line?

Re: Poor Connection on Chicago Metra West Line (UPW) and pretty much all Metra lines
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

metra_commuter_UPW, Hi, we understand the need for fast data speeds during your commute, we're here to help. When did the problem start? Do you experience this problem off of the train?

TrinetteW_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Poor Connection on Chicago Metra West Line (UPW) and pretty much all Metra lines
RomanCandle1

Since I've had the same issue, I thought I might pick up where this user left off.
This started when I switched to Verizon from AT&T as my signal while commuting was very poor with them. I had asked a few other commuters what provider has worked for them and the answer was unanimously "Verizon" so I'm frustrated that I get nothing during my commute. My signal otherwise is fine.

0 Likes
TinaTlz

My husband & I experience the same issue every weekday in the morning & evening. It's so frustrating!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry that you experience service issues while commuting, RomanCandle1. I understand that you experience this issue only while commuting in Metra trains. Do you experience service issues in specific areas of your commuting only?
Do you experience service issues only underground?

Please note that several factors outside of our control can greatly impact radio signals and wireless service at any time (https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/troubleshooting-wireless-signal-coverage-video/) and service in moving trains or underground can be very challenging.

AntonioC_VZW

0 Likes
Dnuff
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've experienced the same terrible service all year in my commute. Above ground from downtown Chicago all the way out in the BNSF line. 

would love a resolution if anyone has come across one.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I rely on my connection while commuting and we want you to be able to as well Dnuff. Does this happen anywhere else? Keep in mind, there are numerous things that can impact the signal. Here is a helpful link: http://spr.ly/66031rWnd Service on moving trains can be challenging. I hope this provides clarity. RosanneM_VZW

0 Likes
JVeesam

Agree;  The connection is terrible on the commute on BNSF line going from Aurora to Downtown.   The speed check at various points show 0.1 to 0.3 Mbps.   I've even switched to higher unlimited plans to get a prioritized speeds but did not help even a bit.    It is really frustrating to see the slower speeds every day in the commute.    I was with AT&T until recently and did not have this issue so, if my experience does not improve with Verizon, I would be forced to go back to AT&T sooner or later. 

Thanks,

Jay

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand how important it is to have dependable service while on your commute. Please note that you are surrounded by metal and moving at a high speed of rate, which is a factor when using cellular service. When you come to a stop does service improve? AlbertoR_VZW

0 Likes