Poor 4G LTE coverage in 80601
05Landshark

Is Verizon having issues in the 80601 zip code?

I recently signed up for Verizon service and am using a Droid Turbo.  At my home and around town I'm only getting one or two bars of 4G service, and the phone has dropped to 3G on several occasions, still with only one or two bars of coverage.  Data throughput tests using apps such as Speedtest and OpenSignal show very poor results, with speeds well below 1Mbps.  I switched from another carrier in hopes of improving my coverage but I'm starting to get concerned.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Poor 4G LTE coverage in 80601
LeamNoran
Enthusiast - Level 1

FWIW, Verizon Wireless in Denver, Arvada, Boulder, Longmont, Loveland, the plains is all mediocre. They haven't done any network upgrades in Colorado in several years and it's rotting on the vine. There are huge subdivisions with hundreds of homes willing to pay Verizon money for wireless coverage and they won't deliver. I haven't figured out if it's because they don't know how to cover a metropolitan/suburban area that involves hills, or what it is. They also haven't seemed to have deployed any of their band 4 LTE (what they call "XLTE") in the Boulder/Longmont/Loveland area which would help them with capacity. They have the licenses, they're just not using them.

I've done drive trips through the Colorado high country along I-70, Colorado 141, down to Durango, up through the middle, out to Salida, down to Colorado Springs and points south. Verizon isn't any better than anyone else in Colorado, they roam when AT&T or T-Mobile roams, they don't have service when everyone else is no service.

I've filed various trouble tickets with Verizon for the Boulder-Longmont area and they even allegedly "sent a truck" to diagnose their wireless network. I live in a 9 square mile area where they claim to have strong LTE coverage, it's weak EVDO, 1x or no service throughout. Indoor reception is impossible. Save your money and go somewhere else.

Your best bet is one of the two major GSM carriers, the smaller of the two just deployed a new LTE network that completely fills in all of their coverage holes along the front range but it requires a new phone that does the new network band. The larger of the two has spent millions (their numbers) upgrading their network throughout Colorado.

Wish Verizon would do something about their network out here. They used to be the best, and in a few years they've fallen to third place.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are dedicated to keeping you connected! Does the performance vary during different times of day? Are other users having the same experience? How far do you travel before service improves?

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Are you north of route 7?

0 Likes
05Landshark

>>Does the performance vary during different times of day?

No, the performance is consistent throughout the day.

>>Are other users having the same experience?

I don't really know, hence this post.

>>How far do you travel before service improves?

That's part of the problem, the service doesn't improve.  I've traveled any where from a couple of miles to 30 miles from my home with the same results.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks.

0 Likes
05Landshark

Actually, I'm east of Route 7 (Bridge St), about halfway between Bridge and Bromley.

0 Likes
05Landshark

I was in the 80538 zipcode today, an area that is supposed to have 4G LTE coverage according to the Verizon website, and could only get two or three bars of 3G.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

You may want to consider getting a new SIM card. They are free from verizon corporate stores. Though verizon does have a coverage idea of when you should get 4G it's not always a for sure thing.

0 Likes
05Landshark

Thank you for the suggestion, however, I have a hard time understanding how the SIM card could be the issue.  If I wasn't connecting to the Verizon network then I would definitely look at the SIM card, but I am connecting to the network, it's just that the signal quality is poor.

I was in Thornton earlier today, close to I-25 and 120th and actually had four bars of 4G LTE signal.  It appears that Verizon just has poor service in northern Colorado.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

The SIM card doesn't have to be working or broken, it could be in between and just faulty. Sounds like it was just the area though. 

0 Likes
LeamNoran
Enthusiast - Level 1

FWIW, Verizon Wireless in Denver, Arvada, Boulder, Longmont, Loveland, the plains is all mediocre. They haven't done any network upgrades in Colorado in several years and it's rotting on the vine. There are huge subdivisions with hundreds of homes willing to pay Verizon money for wireless coverage and they won't deliver. I haven't figured out if it's because they don't know how to cover a metropolitan/suburban area that involves hills, or what it is. They also haven't seemed to have deployed any of their band 4 LTE (what they call "XLTE") in the Boulder/Longmont/Loveland area which would help them with capacity. They have the licenses, they're just not using them.

I've done drive trips through the Colorado high country along I-70, Colorado 141, down to Durango, up through the middle, out to Salida, down to Colorado Springs and points south. Verizon isn't any better than anyone else in Colorado, they roam when AT&T or T-Mobile roams, they don't have service when everyone else is no service.

I've filed various trouble tickets with Verizon for the Boulder-Longmont area and they even allegedly "sent a truck" to diagnose their wireless network. I live in a 9 square mile area where they claim to have strong LTE coverage, it's weak EVDO, 1x or no service throughout. Indoor reception is impossible. Save your money and go somewhere else.

Your best bet is one of the two major GSM carriers, the smaller of the two just deployed a new LTE network that completely fills in all of their coverage holes along the front range but it requires a new phone that does the new network band. The larger of the two has spent millions (their numbers) upgrading their network throughout Colorado.

Wish Verizon would do something about their network out here. They used to be the best, and in a few years they've fallen to third place.