Pantech UML290 - Can't Connect(Win7), Connection Dropping(CTR35)...
ianchudson

I'm scratching my head here. I recently upgraded from a 3G card(USB720) to a Pantech UML290 and it has been nothing but a headache. No matter what I do with my UML290 (Windows 7, Enterprise 64 Bit) I CANNOT connect. Every time I do, it attempts, gets to authentication and then just drops. No error, no message, nothing.

THEN, I dual-boot the same hardware into WinXP and it works perfectly. Getting 11mbs down and 5 up.

I also have a CTR35 Cradlepoint router which worked great on my USB720 and will connect with my UML290, but drops connection every 40minutes or less. It's a fatal failure too when it goes down and I have to enable "Aggressive Reset" in order for it to actually re-establish connection. I've tried forcing into 3G or 4G in the CTR35 and that doesn't seem to help very much.

It sucks that this thing only seems to work well in XP, I'd like to be able to use Win7 and I can't even connect for short periods of time. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling/changing settings/etc with no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE:

I forgot to mention that I have tried this in Indy, Chicago, Ohio, St. Louis and Minnesota. Network doesn't seem to make a difference, I always get the same issues/results.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Pantech UML290 - Can't Connect(Win7), Connection Dropping(CTR35)...
Ozob
Enthusiast - Level 2
It's very interesting that it works well in XP. I haven't tried that, but otherwise I've had the same issue with this device. Have you accessed the diag page to set the device to only try to connect to a CDMA auto (EVDO or 1xRTT) network. This works somewhat for fringe or unstable 4G areas. Frankly, I just took my UML290 off my contract. It is such a bad product. IMHO

My devices (sorted by yuks and yays):

HTC ThunderBolt (yuk)
Novatel Wireless MiFi 4510L (yuk)
Pantech UML290 (way yuk)

Novatel Wireless MiFi 2200 (way yay)
RIM BlackBerry anything (way yay)
Apple iPad 1 (yay)
0 Likes
ianchudson

Yeah, attempted the diag solution and it wouldn't really connect for very long. I still can't connect but I'm going 3-hours strong on 4G LTE in WinXP. Even when forcing 3G via my CTR35 router, the connection seems to be weak and unsteady at best.

For whatever reason, the 32bit WinXP is perfectly stable. I'm assuming that the drivers are garbage for Win7 or 64 Bit OS. Although, that doesn't explain why it's so bad on my routert. As I said, the hardware is the same, it's just dual booting Win7 64B and WinXP 32B.

I'm getting 50ms ping, 11mb/s down adn 12mb/s up @ speedtest.net.

I just wish this card worked in Windows7... hopefully Verizon's service will improve, all I can hope for it seems.

0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Ianchudson, if you're still experiencing the issue you've described here, please send me a personal message with your mobile number. I'd like to report this issue to our Technical Support team. Thanks!

0 Likes
JaxBeachEd

Having the same issue. Apparently it's specific to Windows 7 Enterprise, which sucks, because that's what all our new corporate-issued laptops have.

Spent some quality time on the phone with VZ level 2 support and they are sending me an LG device (also 4G) that supposedly will work.

0 Likes