Is this problem happening to anyone else's device?
GarrettHP
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey there Verizon Wireless community! I've got a question for you all. What is wrong with my 4G connection? Here's the situation.. I currently have no internet in my house, aside from my lovely little Bionic. This guy, is a tank. He packs a nice punch and gets the work done, what I mean is I tether the connection from my phone to my computer all-day long with no issues. Well, here lately I've noticed that I will randomly get disconnected from the internet, or in my leisure time I'll be disconnected from Xbox Live or lag out. I thought it might've just been my computers Ethernet cable.. nope, solid. I sat there.. staring at my Bionic and thinking to myself "Please don't be giving up on me." Well, it isn't the phone giving up on me, from what I can tell. Rather, my data connection. I currently have unlimited data, and I've input my address and whatnot into the 4G coverage map. I'm in the Crimson, meaning I have full 4G coverage, not extended. Yet, I will either lose signal completely, or my phone will go from a solid 4G connection, to a 3G connection. I have made sure wifi is off, airplane is off, I've taken out then reinserted my SIM. Nothing works. It will do this periodically throughout the day, and has become quite a nuisance. Is there a fix for this? Is it the Bionic? Are other phones/phone owners having this problem? I need help people!

Labels (1)
Re: Is this problem happening to anyone else's device?
cholmes3521

I have a pantech breakout and have the exact same issue and from what i can tell from the forums were not the only 2 as numerous people are having this issue as well

0 Likes
Not applicable

Are you guys paying for the "hotspot" feature?  If not, is it possible that Verizon is throttling or cutting your broadband intermittantly?

I don't know, I'm just guessing and throwing this out as a possibility.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi GarrettHP,

I want your phone to perform great all the time! I see that you tether to your computer and my first place to look for options to resolve this issue is the proper account provisioning. Have you called us to ensure that the tethering feature is properly provisioned on your account? If this feature is not provisioned correctly on your account you will experience tethering issues. Customers with a 4G device and unlimited data can add this tethering feature for $30/month. Please follow me and send me a direct message including your account number and I will be happy to review your account for proper provisioning and explore other options to resolve this tethering issue.

AntonioC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
GarrettHP
Enthusiast - Level 1

I use the USB Tether feature, because an extra $30 for a $216 bill is ridiculous. If I used any type of WiFi tether it would be an app, definitely not the $30 check box.

0 Likes
JarredP

Verizon's 4G LTE network is built on top of wireless bandwidth that Verizon bought from the government (specifically, the C Block of 700 MHz spectrum) a long time ago. That purchase came with a restriction called the Open Access Rule, which says anyone using it to provide service "shall NOT deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network." That means as long as you're a paying customer and using their equipment, Verizon can't keep you from spreading the wireless love to your iPad, your laptop, or any other device you own.

Current customers with grandfathered unlimited data plans still have to pay. Unfortunately, if you want to tether with your unlimited plan, you have to either upgrade your plan to one of the new, Share Everything plans (which include tethering), or pony up $20/mo for Verizon's "Mobile Broadband Connect" service. You can still tether off the books and hope you don't get caught, but if they catch you, Verizon will either sign you up for Mobile Broadband Connect, put you on a Share Everything plan, or terminate your contract. Sorry.

taken from Lifehacker.com article 5933152

0 Likes
cholmes3521

JarredP

I understand what your getting at with your post but since i am also having this issue verizon has never moved me to another plan, charged me extra per month or even signed me up for an additional service but my 4g on my phone still disconnects all the time like every 30 seconds or so. It will work fine for 5-10 minutes then go through a fit of disconnects for about 5-10 minutes as well and it always do this. So if i give up unlimited data and switch to a tiered plan this will stop?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Just rememebr if you go to a tiered plan 2 GB isn't much of you tethering something like a laptop.

0 Likes
Not applicable

GarrettHP wrote:

I use the USB Tether feature, because an extra $30 for a $216 bill is ridiculous. If I used any type of WiFi tether it would be an app, definitely not the $30 check box.

$30 and you still have unlimited tethering is a good deal. Frankly I wish Verizon would stop allowing it. You should take advantage of it while you still can. Heck most cable ISPs no longer offer unlimited data. And they charge $50+ for their service.

0 Likes
spencercurtis

I am getting kicked off of 4g to only 3g I have switched phones sim cards you name it. I think they are forcing me off the network so they can throttle "optimize". Does anyone have the fcc contact info to report it. From what I understand there is an agreement to not throttle 4g but I could be mistaken. I have spent almost 2 weeks fighting this and it is getting really really annoying. I am fed up. I have unlimited data and pay for the mobile hotspot feature. I normally don't use alot of data but I am in the process of moving to a place that provides cable internet. So my history of data use has been extremely low and now when I want to use it I am being punished. I am getting less than 1mb download at times.

0 Likes