IPv6 not available with static IPv4?
ziesemer-sec

We had procured a 4G data card through Verizon for some remote administration needs - and had static IP enabled for the data card as such.

Prior to the static IP being enabled, I had observed a dual-stack IPv4 and IPv6 configuration:  A dynamic and NAT’d IPv4 address, as well as a presumed-dynamic and public IPv6 address.  (The distinction of the IPv4 address being static vs. dynamic isn’t nearly as critical as to whether it is public or NAT’d, with a public, non-NAT’d address being required for accepting remote connections for purposes of remote administration, security cameras, etc.)  With the conversion to a static and public IPv4 address, we are no longer being issued an IPv6 address (at all / of any type).  Is there any available option here for having a dual-stacked IPv6 address along with a “static” IPv4?  I’m not overly concerned as to whether the IPv6 address would also be static or not.

I am aware of some workarounds for this - such as 6to4 or using an IPv6 tunnel broker - but would much prefer at least the same native level of IPv6 that is available as dual-stack with dynamic / NAT'd IPv4 addresses, if possible.  (Less encapsulation and better performance, etc.)

I previously spoke with Verizon Technical Support and was simply told that this was not an option - but am posting here in case anyone knows differently, or to track progress on this in case this is changed in the future.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes