How slow is deprioritization/throttling? Can’t decide between gounlimtied or beyondunlimited.
Anonymous
Not applicable

How slow is throttling/deprioritization? I need to make a decision between gounlimted and beyondunlimited. Gounlimited can throttle you anytime there is congestion. But, how slow does it throttle you? Is it fast enough to at least load a website? I’ve heard of some instances where it has taken people up to 30 seconds trying to load a website. 

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How slow is deprioritization/throttling? Can’t decide between gounlimtied or beyondunlimited.
boringusername
Master - Level 1

It's not throttling( except hotpsot ), but whatever. How slow is going to depend on the congestion there is no set rate. Also congestion could last 5 minutes or 5 hours. If you're that worried then just pay the extar $10 for Beyond. Also its not like you can't sign up for Go then switch to Beyond if it's an issue. No one can tell you what you specifc result will be.

View solution in original post

Re: How slow is deprioritization/throttling? Can’t decide between gounlimtied or beyondunlimited.
boringusername
Master - Level 1

It's not throttling( except hotpsot ), but whatever. How slow is going to depend on the congestion there is no set rate. Also congestion could last 5 minutes or 5 hours. If you're that worried then just pay the extar $10 for Beyond. Also its not like you can't sign up for Go then switch to Beyond if it's an issue. No one can tell you what you specifc result will be.

mjrunion
Enthusiast - Level 2

The “deprioritization” can be all day every day according to the rep I spoke with.  Speeds for me were less than dial up with latency of 800ms download of .02mbps down and .08 up. To compare the old aol service was .05 down and up. The deprioritized service is less than useless so either pay the bribe to use any of the data you are already paying for or switch.

0 Likes
BRESTO47
Enthusiast - Level 3

You don't want Go Unlimited.   

Anything but that.  It's like being back in 2003 trying to surf the 'net on a flip phone.  During deprioritation I  get like .10 down and .43 up.  

Prior to August 2018, I had 16 GB of data...the good kind....the kind you pay for and does not get throttled.   

In August 2018, I stupidly allowed the sales person to talk me out of keeping my 16 GB and for the same price switch to the Go Unlimited.  I am not the awesome Verizon Wireless Expert that boringusername (Mr. b.u.n.)  is. I talked to the sales person and in earshot of the manager and another sales person when I asked what would cause me to get throttled (b.u.n. said it isn't throttling...but that was the word I used.)  I was told that I would NOT have slower internet unless I used a lot of data but it would have to be lots and lots...like 15 or 20 GB.   We discussed it for several minutes because I have heard this kind of nighmare, but only YEARS ago and with carriers that weren't as reliable then. And only if the user consumed too much data. 

I first noticed this problem at 8 p.m. one night in February...again in April. But I found excuses for it.

And, I"ve noticed that my tablet is useless because it is so slow on Verizon data.   Without WIFI, other functions do not work.  

I cannot imagine why Verizon would allow employees to push his kind of a plan on people who are perfectly happy paying for more expensive data.  Well, except that it was about the same price...maybe $5-$10 difference tan my 16 GB with extra data every month. 

But, I should have been more like Mr. b.u.n.  Unlike him, I didn't rush home to read my agreement on the new service.  Silly Low IQ Me!  I declare!  Seems like I must still believe in that people are basically honest.  My bad.  I also didn't realize that Verizon would allow their employes to say dishonest things or provide a service that would be depriortized daily!?  I mean, WHY are we even paying for it?  And, why would the employee  push that on me?  I didn't ask for it. AT ALL.  I was happy.  No concerns. 

That is over.I don't know why anyone  would want this fragile coverage.  It is like 2D. 

When I called to report that my phone data was in terrible shape a few days ago, it was in the middle of the day.  There was an outage in my neighborhood on my cable.  I had work to do.  For two hours, I checked it and I was in Depriortization H3ll. I called Verizon and the digital CSR  wasted my time, then I talked to someone in a country where English isn't the normal language.  Bless his heart, he told me I had a "discounted plan" that depriortized data.   Finally, I talked to another lady after calling back. She said I could not get my old plan back, it was no longer available.  However, she helped me get enough speed to do what I needed to right then.  

I have a Google FI phone  and since the nightmare of Go Unlimited  it's so much better than my Verizon Data.  It costs $10 for 1-6 Gigs and $60 for unlimited data, but ONLY if you use it. I have seen it pulling ahead of the Verizon service I have  (now I know why) and plan to adjust my verizon bill down to the bare miniumum next week and my Google Fi phone  will get a work out until I am sure it's the service I want.  This time, I've got my head on straight like Mr. b.u.n.  

Finally, I posted about this on Monday.  ChristineK_VZW posted a form letter response in which she states that Verizon wants me to understand my plan fully, and letting me know I can change my plan, or see FAQs.  And, then she locked the thread.

ChristineK_VZW, you could have at least responded with one line or an email or a call. that form letter didn't help matters. 

This plan is trash if you do not have access to good Wifi all the time.  It was terrible to realize I have been paying for this so that it was there if  needed it.  Again, if only I could be like Mr. (or Ms.) b.u.n.  

boringusername
Master - Level 1

@BRESTO47 wrote:

You don't want Go Unlimited.   

It depends. My area is rarely congested and Go Unlimtied works fine. Have had it since August 2017. I'm not paying $40 extra per month to MAYBE sometimes get slightly faster speeds.

0 Likes
divanov1

I just want to know if the deprioritization speeds beat the speeds you get when you got over on a traditional non-unlimited plan. I believe currently if I go over my 4gb a month, I will be throttled at 128kbps in Safety Mode.  So will the depriotization speed beat 128kbps?

Also, does everything in your comment still hold for the new plans? I think the new starter unlimited plan is called Start Unlimited

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Great question, divanov1! Our Go Unlimited data plan can be a great plan but it is one of our cheapest unlimited options because it has some restrictions. The main one is that any time the tower you are on is congested your line is deprioritized behind other traffic. That can lead to slow internet speeds at times. How much of an effect that will have depends on your area. Some places that will rarely come up at all while others may have it become a regular occurrence. When congested, you might experience speeds that are about 2G (which is about 600 kbps), while at times with  no congestion you can experience the full 4G LTE experience.

Our Start Unlimited plan is the same as our Go Unlimited, except it does not include the use of Mobile Hotspot. 

If you depend on your data speeds, I would suggest selecting the Beyond Unlimited plan or the newer Do More Unlimited and Play More Unlimited. 

Does this information help?

AnnaG_VZW

0 Likes
Wesmccollaum
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is bad, I have the top unlimited plan and after I use so much data they throttle me down to about 67K, no kidding. It is straight up throttling, I get over a certain amount of data used and it slows to the exact same speed, and it doesn't matter what time of day. Deprioritization  is garbage if that was the case my speeds would differ and I should be able to log in with decent speeds while everyone is asleep at three in the morning but that is not the case. They slow me down so much I don't even get online sometimes because nothing will load before timing out, it terrible.

KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is definitely not the experience we want you to have. We would love to take a closer look into this issue. We will be sending you a Private Note, so we can further assist you. 

0 Likes