Re: Extremely slow LTE service in San Francisco
Ascotlad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon - I have been a loyal customer for many, many years.  But I concur with these observations.  In the past several months, something has happened to the data in my neighborhood on my Verizon LTE.  It was happening on my iPhone 5S and is now also happening with my iPhone 6.  There's a problem with data in the Castro.  For example standing at Castro Street near Market, all the way down Castro to almost 20th Street.   Full LTE signal, but virtually zero data.

Please respond to this thread, with estimated investigation and fix schedule.

0 Likes
Ascotlad
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have reported the LTE data problem in the Castro, using the Chat function.  I encourage you to do the same.  The agent says it will trigger a network investigation.  They asked for an address, my phone number/email and said it will take 48-72 hrs to work through their system.

0 Likes
dbrooks83
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have to agree. I used to live by the ballpark and everything was fine. I moved to Polk Gulch in August and it's a dead zone. I mean like .5 mb/s download kind of dead. Polk and Geary to Franklin all the way up past California... That whole rectangle... nada! The financial district is ok, but I've also seen similar poor results in the eastern half of the Marina and also along the Delores corridor (18th and Delores). It seems that most of this poor performance has also occurred in the last several months. Heard something about Verizon selling spectrum off so it's network isn't as fast now in SF, but can't find anything online to confirm that.

I know that my phone is older (Galaxy S3) and can't take advantage of XLTE, but after reading some of these responses, I'm not sure that's the issue? Seriously considering switching to T-Mobile when I get a new phone in December, and I'm a legacy unlimited data customer. Although what good is unlimited data if you can't use it?

Ascotlad
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a case open with Verizon.  It's hopefully being worked on.  I have been doing more tests using speedtest app.  In my neighborhood, either it reports a problem with Network Communications, or it fails the initial latency test.   Let's see what they figure out in my hood.  I would encourage everyone to use the Chat feature to report the same problem.  Let's get LTE data working in our neighborhoods.

fozhao
Enthusiast - Level 1

Having the same issues here. I've tested it in various locations in the Bay Area, the only place I've seen usable LTE speeds are in apple stores and Verizon stores. Verizon, time to get your **** together.

Sunflower415
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just upgraded 2 weeks ago from an Iphone 4S (using 3G) to an iphone 6 (using 4G).   Imagine my disappointment when I  not only didn't get the faster speeds I was promised, but also couldn't even use my phone in most places!  Using data, or trying to use an app such as Hangouts, check out Facebook, or look up something on the internet doesn't work about 75% of the time.    I called Verizon and they said, "No network problems in your area...downtown SF has great coverage", They would tell me to troubleshoot a few thigs and then tell me it was fixed and try it out for a few more days, and call back if it wasn't working.   I'd try it out for a few more days and still could not use my phone....at work (in PAC Heights, at home (near Union Square), in downtown SF, or in Inner Richmond...basically most everywhere I went, I would have trouble with my phone connection.   I'd have my Apple 3G work phone with me (because I needed a back up for  when my NEW phone was't working), and my old 3G work phone was WAAAYYY fast and worked ALL the time!    My work phone (3G)  would have 4 bars and my new 4G phone would have one bar.   I finally figured out a way to switch to 3G on my phone, so it does work on the 3G network, but I upgraded because I wanted the supposedly "FASTER and RELIABLE 4G network".   Come on Verizon, this is DOWNTOWN San Francisco!!!!  I could understand if I was visiting my family in upstate NY, but this is DOWNTOWN San Francisco!!!   What is going on???    I've been a customer of yours for 15 years because you always had the most reliable network....but no more.   I am looking to switch, and will make it known to others how bad the service is if I don't get a resolution soon!

sf78

I have been having these exact same issues since early October in the City Hall area (Civic Center 94102) on my Galaxy S3. I show 5 bars of 4G LTE, but I am suddenly getting 0.5 mb/s down and 0.01 mb/s up. I have called technical service about six times and each time they go through a half hour of troubleshooting and then tell me that something will be done. Nothing changes, though. I have had good service at this address for the past 18 months, but I give up. Time to change companies.

0 Likes
wwits
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is not been any response from Verizon on this issue in over a year.  There are several threads online their forums about this, and it seems like their reps have just started ignoring these.  The reps I get connected to via Verizon's chat feature just say "The map says you get great 4G coverage" and tell me they will report my issue to technical support.

How can I fix slow data and disconnection problems in the SF Bay Area?

LTE- San Francisco- Speeds are horrible

Silicon Valley, home of the SLOWEST 4G LTE Verizon data speeds

San Francisco 4G LTE almost non-existent (94115)

I live with two other people who are using AT&T in 94114, not too far east from Twin Peaks, and they get great speeds down in my house.  I get <2 Mbps down in most places in the city (Upper Haight, Castro, Lower Haight, Mission, Noe Valley, Hayes Valley, Western Addition, Tenderloin, SOMA, the list goes on...) and have resorted to just using 3G around all of SF and wifi at home and at work.  When I pop over the bridge to Berkeley, great speeds if I switch LTE back on.

I get that this is about congestion. The question is what is Verizon doing to fix it? Nothing.

When I inquired about getting a discount on my bill and a rebate from Verizon because I am paying for service that I am not getting, they said that because I'm using data I'm going to be charged for it, despite the fact that Verizon advertises 4G speeds and I have to turn off LTE to even open my e-mail or look up a restaurant on Yelp. Pretty sad customer care. I have had a mobile phone with heavy data for 10 years and in that time used all 3: VZW, T-Mobile and AT&T   VZW takes the cake for false advertising regarding their coverage map and Zero customer support on an issue that affects so many.

0 Likes
srs232
Enthusiast - Level 2

How were you thinking of collecting the dead zones? There's a website named Wireless Coverage Map & Carrier Reviews - AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Tracfone which allows you to upload screenshots which show speed tests and may be a good resource for tracking the problems.

Intrepidwon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Unbelievably poor LTE reception on my new Note 4 in SF. I was super excited to sign up for Verizon service and transfer from AT&T just a couple months ago. I find it shocking that Vzw would allow these dismal conditions in a major market. It took me 4 minutes just to sign in to post here. My speed tests confirm what you all are reporting. And I still have my AT&T phone for another few weeks before I can close that account.  But now I am seriously worried as the speed on that Note 2 is pretty amazing, both here in SF and in Santa Rosa, btw. Additionally,  while in the Eureka Arcata Humboldt Bay region recently,  I noted that AT&T had really stepped up service in the valleys around suburban Eureka, though Vzw is still better, but not by much. Resting on our laurels, are we, Big Red? That's dangerous,  and quite the bummer. Step up or many of us will step away, ETF or not.

0 Likes