Edge Plan, Device Payment Plan...How to keep Grandfathered Unlimited Data?
ShadowAgent
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, I've looked around the forum and read about the Edge Plan and the Device Payment Plan, but when I speak to someone I get different answers.  The posts I found here are months old so I'm not sure if anything is still current.

I have the America's Choice 450 with unlimited data and I want to keep that.  I had heard that if you buy a phone outright (either full price or off of eBay, Craig's list, etc.) you keep your existing plan.  This is because you are providing the equipment.

I went to the VZW store yesterday and asked "If I pay full price for the phone, I heard I can keep my unlimited data plan.  Is this correct?"  The question wasn't answered, instead I was told about the Edge Plan.

The Edge Plan was described to me as I would get 6GB data (and they said I was trending around 4.5GB), pay same price as my America's Choice 450 plan, and have an extra charge to cover the phone (for example $23 if I went with this smart phone or $20 if I went with that).  The representative kept dodging the keeping of the unlimited data plan, and I thought it was a rip off to pay the same plan price for less data,  so I left to come back to the website and forums.

That is how I found out that there was a Device Payment Plan (found the link outside the forum) that was different from the Edge Plan.  Unfortunately the FAQ for the Device Payment Plan doesn't talk about the phone plan.

So I called Customer Support to ask the question about the Device Payment Plan.  I described what I was told by friend and VZW representative and I was informed I had some incorrect info.

I was told that the info on keeping the America's Choice and what the Edge plan covers was correct.  However, there wasn't a Device Payment Plan option.

Has this Device Payment Plan been discontinued?  Has anyone had any recent success in getting this plan (instead of Edge) and keeping their grandfathered unlimited data?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Edge Plan, Device Payment Plan...How to keep Grandfathered Unlimited Data?
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Here is some information about the Device Payment Plan.  There is a $2 per month finance charge.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/FeaturesandOptionalServices/device-installment-plan....

You can keep your unlimited data by purchasing the phone at full retail from Verizon directly, by purchasing a phone from a third party source, or by using the Device Payment Plan.

You cannot keep your unlimited data if you use the Edge plan.

0 Likes
ShadowAgent
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, but as I stated I knew all this already.  The Reps at the VZW store wouldn't answer the question and the person on the phone said the plan wasn't available.  So I wanted to know if anyone had any recent luck in getting the Device Payment Plan.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi ShadowAgent- We want you to have an awesome device and a plan that meets your needs! I can confirm the Device Payment Program is a current option available to qualified customers. It is an option that is only available in our retail sales locations. I would be happy to offer any additional support needed.

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

ShadowAgent
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Yalek!  This is what I was looking for.  Just to clarify, The Edge and Device Payment Program are 2 separate options right?

I will print this conversation and bring to the store.

rcschnoor
Legend

ShadowAgent wrote:

The Reps at the VZW store wouldn't answer the question and the person on the phone said the plan wasn't available.

It is available to qualified customers who pass a credit check. It is an option, however not all customers will qualify.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's correct ShadowAgent. Edge and the Device Payment Program are 2 separate options.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ShadowAgent
Enthusiast - Level 2

According to the information on the website, Edge has a credit check on new customers or customers with only 6 months on an existing plan (I didn't see this for the Device Payment Program).  Given I qualified for Edge I'm sure I qualify for Device Payment Program.  I did notice on the Edge plan that when you "edge up" you return your phone and it must be in good working order.  Sounds like leasing a car to me.

0 Likes
PJGMIG
Enthusiast - Level 3

Please remove me from your distribution

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Only you can remove yourself from the distribution. You have to log in to the forum and change you preferences.

0 Likes