Re: Des Moines 4G LTE Slow?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LukeL7,

That's really good information to know! Thank you for providing your zip code. I see that you are working in downtown Des Moines, IA. A high population can slow down your speeds especially during peek traffic times such as during the work day. Learning that at your home, 10 miles away, your speeds are much faster points to this being the issue. I'd like just a little more information on this, though. If you are at home during normal business hours are your speeds better? How are call and texting performance when you are at work?

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
LukeL7

50391. Downtown Des Moines, IA.

0 Likes
LukeL7

I haven't tested my speeds at home during normal business hours, just after work, unfortunately.  I will, however, be home this afternoon and would be able to run a speed test and report back.  My call and text seem to be performing normally.

0 Likes
LukeL7

I think it definitely has something to do with the number of people on Verizon in downtown Des Moines.  Just ran another speed test from my LG G3 at 8:35 AM CST, got 1.75 mbps down and 0.99 mbps up in a 104 ms ping. The closer I get to "normal" business hours, the worse the speeds get. Just to reiterate, my signal is showing fairly good at 4 bars of 4G LTE, with network values of -92dBm for 4G and -76dBm for 1X.  So I don't think the signal is the problem, I think it is the "saturation" (amount of people) using the downtown Verizon signal. Also, my home, is in a much less saturated area, so that would explain why I can get better speeds. (Again, all based on my assumption as I don't have actual cellular network inner workings knowledge Smiley Happy)

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

What's strange is, Des Moines has XLTE, and so does my area.  We both have horrible speeds.  My issues started when XLTE was turned on here.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I could notice a slow down of speed downtown in the city I work because of the volume of people during the work day. I still get service so I feel like I'm still getting the service I pay for.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I still have service myself, albeit very slow.  But mine isn't just peak times.  A clear night facing my tower near 11pm-2am and it's just so slow.  Signal bars are high though.  2 blocks over I have XLTE that is pretty fast.

0 Likes
Rich92

My 4G speed is lower than usual..i am getting 2.1mb download and .9 upload...im in southern Ga. It started going slow since yesterday

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LukeL7

Thank you for providing the zip code. We do have 4g LTE coverage in the zip code provided so it is strange service would be slow. Please keep us posted on the results of the speed test you perform outdoors.

EmmaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can see why you are concerned with slower than normal and expected speeds, Rich92. How are the speeds now? Have you already powered the phone off, removed/reinserted the SIM and tried again? Have others in your family had the same issue? Let's get to the bottom of this.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes