Deadzone in West Chicago Area (On Train Line)
ImpalaPaul

Hello.  I switched to Verizon after being a long time AT&T customer, giving up my unlimited data for my iPhone 4 for better service with Verizon and an iPhone.  I also have a 4G LTE hotspot for my laptop (the iPhone could do it but it is not as strong as a hotspot).

So far I have been very satsified, expect for one problem - when I am taking the train into downtown Chicago from my house in the west suburbs, there is a dead zone where my phone and hotspot will not receive data.Smiley Sad  I know when my train is almost to that stop everytime because it drops down to one bar and data just dies.  (For those wondering, it starts in Glen Ellyn, Illinois on the Union Pacific West Line, and runs to College Avenue).  Is there a way to report that to Verizon easy and to get them to address this?  It's very frustrating, since I have a long train ride and do a lot of work on the train with my hotspot through my office's VPN connection.  I always lose my internet connection right when I am in the middle of something important.  And what's really weird is that it's not like there are huge buildings blocking the signal like in downtown; instead it's as if Glen Ellyn doesn't have a Verizon signal at all!!

In short, any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Deadzone in West Chicago Area (On Train Line)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@ImpalaPaul

I am glad you have enjoyed our service thus far, and I would love for you to continue to be happy with our service!  Being that you're using the device on a train, there are some obstacles that can hinder signal.  Where exactly do you experience the signal loss?  What are the cross streets and zip code of the problem location?  Are you above ground when this occurs?  Please advise so I can further assist.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ImpalaPaul

I am not sure of the cross streets, but it's downtown Glen Ellyn, Illinois, near the train line (Metra, Union Pacific west). What happens is that I drop from five bars to one or no bars, and the LTE disappears and I lose connection. Just a classic deadspot.

It is an above-ground train.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you taking the time to keep us updated on these details, ImpalaPaul. I am showing this area is an Extended 4G area as we are still working to expand the coverage here. It is possible the signal concerns are related to the improvements we're making in that area. Does this seem to affect both voice amd data in the area? Does 4G LTE reappear shortly after leaving that area? We absolutely want you to get great service, but due to the interference along train lines the service can occasionally have areas of opportunity.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
ImpalaPaul

Affects voice and data. Stays gone until I leave the area. One bar, no LTE logo.

Sent from my iPhone, my apologies for any typos.

Work: 312-422-5709 (direct)

Cell: 312-399-9607

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I see ImpalaPaul!  Please test the device signal with LTE disabled http://vz.to/16jU04v.  Let me know if you loose signal when it's set to 3G only.  Keep me posted.  Thanks again!

AnthonyTa_VZW

0 Likes
ImpalaPaul

Hi - I checked it this morning. The signal strentgth, while streaming video from an app, went down, but the 3G did not disappear, nor did I lose any bars. I did lose video though. On LTE< I would lose bars and the LTE icon would disappear, go down to 3G, and back again.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the info ImpalaPaul. Your patience and cooperation is very much appreciated. May I ask is this the only area that you are having the issue. Can I assume that there isn't any physical or liquid damage on the iPhone? It looks like we may need to open a ticket for you. In order to do so please share the iOS and carrier version that you have installed.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW

0 Likes